DIY- how to fix B6 Saloon none closing boot/trunk fault

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

saxosim
B1
Passat model: B6

DIY- how to fix B6 Saloon none closing boot/trunk fault

Post by saxosim »

Hi all,

I have just fixed the annoying boot not closing issue which seems to be a common fault on the B6. I have replaced the boot lock and thought I would write a how to guide with some photos. Apparently from what I understand from trawling the Internet the fault develops as the grease inside the lock mechanism dries out over time with age and when the weather is really cold the lack of good grease and the fact that what is left is probably not soft enough due to the low temperature outside the boot mechanism then doesn't operate as it should do and the boot lid becomes a nightmare to close.

You can use the following steps to either remove your mechanism to strip it down and apply new grease or to replace the full lock mechanism as I have done.

The job is really easy and direct replacement takes about 30 mins at the most.

The new boot lock is about £44 from VW and the part number is 4F5 827 505D for the Saloon model not sure about the estate.

1. Open the boot lid and undo the 4x torx screws located near the boot pull down handles on the boot liner.
2. Remove the plastic outer surround trim covering the lock.

3. Carefully pry the boot liner until the 2 clips on the front release and the 2 clips on the sides and pull the liner over the boot lock. There is no need to completely remove the liner as you just need access to the front. (Ignore the cork hanging on string in the 2nd photo, this is my marker to know how far to reverse into the garage to avoid hitting anything :) )

4. Locate where the boot mechanical cable fits to the lock and simply pull it off its mount and feed it along and out of its recess.

5. Unplug the electrical plug by using a flat blade screwdriver to lift the clip located on each side of the plug.

6. Use a 10mm socket to remove the 2 nuts holding the lock to the boot lid. Remove the lock.
7. If you are going to re-grease the existing unit pry the clips on the black plastic casing and re-grease. I have read mixed results about how long this fix lasts so ensure that you use some quality grease capable of working in cold temperatures.
8. Reassembly is simply the reverse of steps 1 to 6 but when you relocate the mechanical cable ensure once seated in its recess that you press firmly to locate the cable in its mount so that it clicks in place.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers :)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login