Alternator Pulley Replacement PD engine

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

deacon
B6
Passat model: B5.5

Alternator Pulley Replacement PD engine

Post by deacon »

Today I replaced the clutch pulley on my alternator as mine had failed, the symptoms were:
. rumbling on tick-over which went when throttle was applied,
. belt & tensioner bouncing on tick-over
. power steering squeal when on full lock & steering not smooth at low speed manoeuvring

Unfortunately I don't have images but I will give a detailed explanation, It took me an hour but i think if i done it again it would only take 1/2 hour

A replacement pulley cost me £28 from E-bay

Tools needed
3404 alternator pulley removal tool (available on e-bay for £12)
10mm spanner
13mm spanner
17mm spanner
19mm spanner
13mm socket
flat screwdriver (for levering alternator out)

1. Disconnect battery & connections to the alternator, 10mm for terminal 13mm for alternator.
2. with a 19mm spanner on the belt tensioner nut, push down on the tensioner to release the alternator belt
3. disconnect the viscous fan by locating a long 5mm bolt through the back of the fan pulley to lock into position, the fan is held in place by a 8/9mm allen key bolt, undo this fully to allow the fan to come away from it's mounting
4. undo the 2 alternator bolts (top & bottom) and fully remove these bolts.
5. Remove alternator from vehicle, mine was quite stiff so the large screwdriver helped to lever it from its mount

With the alternator out i would suggest clamping it to a vice or solid workbench as the pulley requires some effort to release.
1. Take your removal tool insert the splined part into the centre of the pulley & insert the torx bit into the centre.
2. with a ratchet on the torx bit & a 19mm spanner (ring spanner to prevent slippage & pain!) hold turn the torx bit clockwise & the splined bit anti clockwise (standard thread), Mine was very tight so I had to change to a small breaker bar to release it.
3. once the pulley is removed, replace with the new shiny one, there are torque ratings, mine is tight!
4.re-fit the alternator to the car, this is fiddly lining up the bolts but i found that locating the lower first was best.
5. re-mount the viscous fan & tighten up the allen head bolt fully, (remember to remove the locking bolt)
6. re-fit the ribbed belt, push down again on the tensioner to slacken the belt & re-fit to the alternator ensuring the belt is located on all of the pulleys.
7. check all bolts are tight, re-connect the alternator connections & battery, stand back & admire your handy work

Once this is done you will notice the steering is smoother & the rumbling has gone tick over seems smoother too!

I hope this helps

Thanks
Chris
B5.5
TDI
Higline

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login