Alloys with polished lip 'DIY REPAIR'

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

COT51E
B4
Passat model: B6 BMR

Alloys with polished lip 'DIY REPAIR'

Post by COT51E »

This is an old post i did when i had my TT with QS rims with a polished lip. Should work on most flat faced edges!

Curbing your rims has got to be one of the worst cringes whilst driving around town or pulling over etc..........well for those with the QS style wheels "the multi spoke ones with polished lip" who need to repair curbing or get shot of that milky corrosion then this post may save you a lot of money.

Take roughly 1.5 hrs each, so best to do a pair at a time.

what you need.

1 means of getting your wheels off/on

2 a dremmel type rotary tool with a abrasive tip (i used a rubbery/gritty type thingy)

3 240 & 1200 gritt "wet and dry" sand paper (available from body shops)

4 drill mounted polishing wheel with compound polish (i used green)

5 rags

6 clearcote laqure spray

7 hand cleaner :wink:

As you can see mine ain't in the best of condition so here goes!

Start by wiping off any dirt then using your dremmel (wheel resting against the wall) lightly brush the tool over the outer raised lip on the wheel.........by doing this lightly and not focusing on sertain spots you will get a smoother "un-rippled finish" keep doing this all round the outer lip untill your down to the alloy.

Once you have done this you can now focus on the bad scuffs but blend them in a few centimeters either side.............don't just grind it out as you will leave a surface like the moon................take your time and be patient

once you are happy with the finish and removal of scuffs/scratches you will need to sand the surface..............this just makes the polishing process quicker.

use the 240 gritt 1st with water and a sanding block to keep flat " i used a piece of alloy plate" then repeat with the 1200 gritt.

Now comes the polishing..............most kits come with all you need and are capable of this but i used my trusy old "bench grinder mop" and modified to fit my drill...............the larger the polishing wheel diameter the faster it will polish............its a knack but again be patient and work slowly over the lip..........oh and you better like the smell of rubber :lol:

see the difference!

Next you need to mask off the lip ready for the clearcote sealer............if you do not use this then they will just fade and start to corrode!!!

Spray the laquer on lightly and leave to dry between coats.......i gave mine 4 coats.

Although i do have some marks on the spokes the outer edge is tranformed into new condition and will only cost you a bit of you time and maybe £20 max for a polishing kit.

Hope this has helped and if you need any further info then just PM me...........thanks for looking,,,,, pete
BMR 170tdi sport, Heated cream leather, Staggered 19" BBS reps, HEKO's, FK coilies, parrot, Bonnet guard, 200k+ club