B5.5 Heated seat failure FAQ

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

B5.5 Heated seat failure FAQ

Post by ct.p »

Thought I'd post this up as I've just been through some heated seat shenanagins.

Bought my car like it although it'd been patched quite well the heated base didn't work whilst the backrest did.

The base had suffered from the quite common 'hot spot' burn through. If you search online you will find a fair bit of info about this and some people have manaaged to get their seats repaired free by VW.

To confirm function of the seat heating;

The base and backrest are wired in parallel.
If either one fails, the other should still work.

Wiring wise, there is a green connector on the base of the seat as well as a yellow one. The yellow one is for the seat airbag so don't mess.

From the green connector it splits; goes on into the heated base and goes to a sub loom which goes on to the backrest. See the picture below.

Now a few photos of the damage.

What I did to fix was,

Got a passenger side seat, removed the base and fitted it to the drivers seat! Job done and yes they are inter changeable which was something I was taking a risk on. The only way to find out was to have a go, it fits and works lovely.

If anyone is interested on how to do that part, I could add some words on how to get the base off and then re-fitted.

Below is a picture of a Passat seat frame, I took the backrest cover off and will keep it as a spare if I get any bolster wear.

Question is, I've got a seat airbag, shall I blow it up, film it and post it up? :-o
Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI