How to fit LED in rear view mirror

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

groken
B5
Passat model: B6

How to fit LED in rear view mirror

Post by groken »

Just a quick guide how to do above, first of you will need to find where you going to get your power from. I prepared mine when I was fitting my air vents from skoda superb, as my car didn't come with light up vents I picked up the loom from scrappy and before fitting I soldered on a length of wire that i have tucked away in a pillar so I can do this at some point, but it can be powered same way as W8 interior light as well. To get the mirror off just pull it downwards parallel with windscreen it mill be easier if you start it off with screwdriver. Once mirror is off, unplug connectors.You will need to small flat head screwdrivers to praise it open just work your way all around it. You can see where its holding in this pic.
rsz_20120815_225415.jpg
Mirror itself has double sided sticky tape on the back and that is only thing holding on now, but first you will have to take plug off , if you look closely you can see that every pin has a lip that's stooping it from being pulled out just push it down and pin will slide out. If in doubt take a picture of pin position. Now you can get the mirror off, I found it easiest starting from the bottom side lifting it off, once its off unplug it and leave it on the side. Now you can drill the holes in the housing and start fitting it back, first guide your wire to the base of the mirror and than trough the stalk.
rsz_20120815_222345.jpg
Now you can glue your led's in place and solder everything up
rsz_20120815_225309.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by groken on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login