B5.5 Electric radiator fan replacement.

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

B5.5 Electric radiator fan replacement.

Post by ct.p »

This is my second B5.5 TDI Estate and this was the 2nd Electric radiator cooling fan I have had to replace.

These things run all the time while the climatronic is on auto and I think it is simply a case of the motor brushes wearing out.

Anyway, mine wasn't although the aircon was. On my previous car, I had no idea until one day I was stuck in a traffic jam on a super hot day, yes hotter than today, and the aircon groaned and cut out with warm air coming through the vents shortly afterwards. Perfectly normal operation as the high pressure switch did its job!

Anyway first time I did this (about 4 years ago on my first 5.5), this is what I discovered;

B5.5 was a lot more £'s than a B5 one. Same now.

B5.5 Fan = £140 at GSF
B5 Fan = £40 at GSF.

They are the same size and same fit, the only difference as far as I could make out is that the plugs are different. The plug being where is connects by the power steering res.

Cut the plugs off, swapped and soldered the old one onto the new fan. Note that the loom was slightly shorter so make sure you cur a bit extra off.

Ker-ching £100 saved straight away!

Next is fitting, last time I put the lock carrier into the service position complete with all hassle that involves.

All you need to do (on a 5.5 TDI, mine is an AWX) is remove;

1, The air intake off the slam panel.
2, The support bar that goes from the bonnet lock down to the under tray, in fact the lower nut in the centre/front of the under tray is the lower fixing.

Once they are off, unplug the connector by the PAS res and unclip it from the perimeter of the rad fan housing. Note that it goes along the bottom and access is tight.

Once the loom is released then remove the fan.

There is one small self tapping screw at the top of the fan frame which is accessable one the air intake is off. Undo it and then rotate the fan frame about 5 degrees, it'll only go one way. This releases the clips and then you are free to wriggle it out from the engine bay.

On re-fitting, the fan is a doddle, engauge the clips, rotate and put the self tapper back. I chose to thread the loom along the top for the time being as access is so tight and left the excess cable on the loom routed around the void under the PAS cover. Next time I have the front end in the lock position I'll put it where it should go, i.e. along the bottom but for now it is fine.

A good cheap job done and now the aircon is colder.

Note the the chap at GSF said that they are running down the stock on the B5 fan as there is no call for them these days. So if your 5.5 fan is iffy, get it done now before they run out and you are forced to pay £100 more!
Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login