Mufflerectomy with a Cherry Bomb

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

desertstorm
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 130 TDI AWX

Mufflerectomy with a Cherry Bomb

Post by desertstorm »

After seeing this video on You tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmIqOXxjQU
Difference in weight is only 5kg.
and reading a few articles on various forums over the years decided to go for a mufflerectomy. But not as most people do and remove the back box and replace with a pipe. I decided I didn't like the high pitched whistle you get from the VNT mechanism in the turbo so had a 2.25 inch cherry bomb fitted with a down turn to further kill the sound. If you use a cherry bomb make sure it's one with a perforated mesh rather than the louvres as these don't flow very well at all.
Exhaust was £80 fitted at John Ashley exhausts in Walsall. Very nice people who know what they are doing. Didn't go for a stainless one as wanted to keep the price down. They modified the old box with a collar so I could refit it if I wasn't happy with the cherry bomb.
New and old box

Looking down into the old box you can see the baffle plate with small holes.I found a picture on line of a TDI rear box cut open and the number of pipes and baffles with small holes was quite remarkable.

With the original exhaust My car has no cat, the monolith has been knocked out so has more turbo whistle than normal.Click on the picture below to play the video.

No exhaust at all, The only silencer now is the middle box and the turbo, It's not that loud.

And with the new exhaust. The best sounding I think. Cant really here much difference in the car compared to standard exhaust.

The car was immediately more responsive when I picked it up, very impressed. The BV43 on my car doesn't spool as easily at the standard turbo but changing the exhaust has made it a lot better and the car is doing 3-4mpg more on any journey I do I am seeing better economy. I had this done several weeks ago and have been watching the fuel gauge to determine how it's going.

Karl.
Gone but will never be forgotten
207Bhp 347Lb/ft 14.9 seconds 93mph
The build topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

The new 382bhp Audi viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70765

This topic has 41 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login