Lower subframe cross brace Install.

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

desertstorm
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 130 TDI AWX

Lower subframe cross brace Install.

Post by desertstorm »

This How to deals with the install of a lower subframe cross brace. This item wasn't ever fitted to the Passat it is an Audi part fitted to the A4, RS4 etc and stiffens the subframe by closing the open part on the u shape of the subframe.
The part number is 8D0 399 375 and is not available from VW dealers I had to goto an Audi dealer, It's £14.70.

The Passat has the mounting points on the subframe but these are currently used to fix the gearbox undertray. A small mod is required on the tray and the bar to allow the gearbox cover to be reinstalled.

The first thing to do is to get the existing tray off. Jack the car up and secure well unless you are lucky enough to have a ramp. You can see I use axle stands on the bottom mounts for the subframe bushes.
There are 2 screws that fit it at the back and 3 at the front that fix the engine tray and the gearbox tray.
When you have the tray off you can put the cross brace on the cover so you can see where to drill the 6mm holes for the pins.
The pins I used were some I had lying around they have 20mm of thread on them.

If the pins are fitted above the channels in the gearbox cover then the nuts will be flush so less likely to be scraped.
Make sure the nut securing the pin to the bar is tight otherwise if it comes loose it will make it tricky to undo the nuts that secure the gearbox undertray.

The gearbox cover needs cutting to allow it to fit over the bolts that secure the bar so I did this with a hacksaw. The will then sit flush as it does already. I trimmed off the foam noise absorber at the back as it was in the way.

The bar is secured with 10mm bolts, I had some short high tensile bolts and locknuts so used them.
According to ETKA the part numbers used on the Audi are an M10 X 22 bolt N 906 305 03 and a 10mm self locking nut N 023 004 7 . You need 2 bolts and 2 nuts.
You need to remove the clips that secured the original screws from the mounting points on the subframe. These are the same as used elsewhere so keep for spares, the same as the screws.
Tighten the bolts as tight as you can, if the bolts are loose this will allow movement and defeat the bars purpose.

Just a matter of then refitting the undertrays.

This mod stiffens the front end and improves turn in. If the top suspension cross brace is also installed it improves the handling significantly and the car turns in much better.

Karl.
Gone but will never be forgotten
207Bhp 347Lb/ft 14.9 seconds 93mph
The build topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56110

The new 382bhp Audi viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70765

This topic has 31 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login