Re: B5.5 TDI Basic Service

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Re: B5.5 TDI Basic Service

Post by ct.p »

Hello Gents. I put this how-to on here originally in early 2007. A few things happened since then, since I had and got rid of my previous 5.5, like me getting an Audi A6 which was written off and then bimbling round in an Ford Focus Diesel for quite some time. Anyway, during that period I was obviously not keeping an eye on things on here and during the server / site migration this was lost. Thankfully I also posted this elsewhere so am copying it back here. :wink:

My car back then was a 2002 1.9 TDI Estate, AWX engine with a manual 5 speed box.

It is split into several posts (some of which I may have image sizing problems to this forum on, so bear with me..

As is usual, any further thoughts or comments welcome, original Jan 2007 posts below..

Pic below showing engine cover with 3 purple arrows indicating where the cover bolts are, undo them and pull it off !!

Pic below showing filters and oil. I use the Mann stuff which is OEM quality but if your car is still under warranty you MUST use VW stamped stuff. Also PD oil is a must, it has to meet the PD spec. Since I originally did this and took the photos GSF (German Swedish and French) have stopped doing the Quantum oil which is VW's own brand. They now sell 'Fuchs' oil (pronounce as you see fit ;) ) which is is a PD spec oil, just make sure you ask for it !

Pic below showing my Pela 6000 oil extractor pump. Note that this is not strictly necessary but if you want to get more oil out of the engine than you would by removing the sump plug one of these is a must have.

Pic below showing me just about to remove the sump plug. As this was the first service on the car since I'd bought it, I like to dump everything out of the sump and then pour through a gallon of cheap oil just to wash everything out. I know it is wasteful but it gives me piece of mind knowing everything is cleaner in there.

Pic below showing the oil flowing out

Pic below showing me removing the oil filter holder cap. Note; this was very tight and I had to use a 'fabric' type filter wrench to start to undo it. Don't use a chain wrench and the cap is plastic and will break. Also once you've done a change, nip it up hand tight and you shouldn't have a problem again. I've read lots of stories about these being murder tight and know that you can buy a massive socket that fits to remove it also.

Bog standard B5.5 Highline Estate TDI

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login