[RECOVERED]HOW-TO remove and reinstall the passenger air bag

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dithane
B1

[RECOVERED]HOW-TO remove and reinstall the passenger air bag

Post by Dithane »

How to remove and reinstall the passenger air bag

ukpassats.co.uk Forum Index -> HOW-TO Section

Author

Primordinate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:10 pm Post subject: How to remove and reinstall the passenger air bag

I had to do this to remove the blower fan on a 1999 B5 Passat UK Spec naturally aspired 1.8 20V ADR engine RHD.

Taking the air bag out is not difficult, but closing the lid afterwards is slightly harder. If the orange dashboard warning light is on you will need to reset it with VAG software interface.

Warning:
Disconnect the battery. Be gentle with the air bag, any sharp knocks or bangs could set the air bag off or cause it to fail, Always keep the air bag the right way up, so that the open bag is pointing forward and up, even when removed from the car. When re connecting the battery ensure no one is in the car.

Tools
10mm box spanner and 100mm thin extension bar.
Screwdriver small and or large flat blade object.
Torx head screwdriver (if removing glovebox)
VAG-COM (only needed if the airbag warning light is on or you reconnect the battery while the air bag is off)
500mm of bell wire or 1000mm of string or similar

Step 1
Remove the battery negative lead (there are two reasons for this fist it will lessen the chance of the air bag going off – if you knock it too hard; secondly if you don’t the car will register a supply fault with the airbag and the orange dashboard light will stay on until you reset it with VAG software).

Step 2
The passenger air bag is located under a top hinged panel above the glove box. As I was removing the blower fan I removed the glovebox (easy seven screws and a wiring clip). The airbag lid is held in place by four retaining clips one in each. The clips are quite strong and the car manual suggested simply pulling the cover away, this seemed impossible without damaging the dash. As I had removed the glovebox I tackled the bottom two clips from below there is a small hole in the back of the clip enough to get a small screwdriver through, be gentle the back of the dashboard is soft. Alternatively you could try and lever the bottom of the cover of the clips from the front, I would try using a large flat blunt blade (filling knife or similar) in the horizontal gap between the cover and the dashboard frame. With the bottom two clips free gently pull the cover up and towards the windscreen. This should free the top two clips.

Step 3
There are three retaining nuts holding the lid to a canvass type hinge. Remove the three nuts and remove the lid.

Step 4
The air bag is held in place by four bolts (one in each corner, on the short sides) and a wiring harness. Remove three bolts, then hold airbag and remove the fourth bolt. Slowly pull the air bag out of the cavity (one side may have to come out first). This will expose the wiring connector on the back, squeeze the two locating clips on the plug and withdraw the wiring plug.

Step 5
Remove the air bag and place it somewhere safe away from kids, pets, etc.

Step 6
Do whatever it is you wanted to take the air bag out for. Remember if you re connect the battery now you will need to reset the airbag warning light with a VAG interface

Step 7
Reinstalling is the reverse of removal. When it comes to refitting the lid take a 500mm length of bell wire, split it, put a loop over each top clip. Locate the lid and gently pull the loop of wire down. This should open the clip a little more so the lid can be fitted. Repeat for other top clip then pull the wire free and engage the bottom clips.

Step 8
Ensure that no one is in the car (just in case the bag is activated) then re-connect the battery. If the orange dasboard warning light is on reset the fault code now with a VAG interface.

Job done

Jarek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:47 pm

Excellent info and with pictures :wink:

Hope I don't have to mess around with my airbags :D

Jarek

[END RECOVER]

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login