B3/B4 steering rack replacement

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

doobie
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B3 GL estate

B3/B4 steering rack replacement

Post by doobie »

I have done this twice in two days now so as i took some piccies i thought i would write it up for you.
Please be aware i am only an enthusiastic amateur so follow these instructions at your own risk!!
Firstly throw the haynes manual in the bin.....it doesnt seem to me they are talking about the same car!!!!!!!
then jack it up and put it on axle stands,take the front wheels off,and centre the steering.Split the tie rod ends (i always undo the nut until i can remove it by hand then get a crowbar to put some pressure on the joint and hit the stub with a hammer until it splits)
Next you need to get to the bolt that holds the steering rack to the column its this one
you have to lift the gaiter over it and then get a 13mm socket on it with a long extension on it.... its a complete pig!!
but you get if off eventually.
once you have done that put a jack under the sub frame and undo the front and rear subframe bolts and the lower wishbone bolt too.Dont undo the anti-roll bar bolt...thats the little one.Then lower the subframe a little and disconnect the steering from the column.Then undo the two unions for the power steering fluid pop them in a container and go and have a cuppa while it drains.
Back out in the cold again.... lower the subframe a bit more and undo the four bolts that hold the rack on
You can take the bracket off the nearside side and then lift the rack over the studs and slide it out.

NOTE:- There are 4 types of rack as i understand it there is a 22 spline trw rack and a zf 22 spline rack then there are two 36 spline racks again one each from trw and zf.
Believe it or not despite taking the rack to two motor factors i still dont know which one i have.We will see,
Sods law made sure my first spares car had the wrong one fitted......
This is the 22 spline one
And this is the 36 spline one.

So now i have a problem, Do i take the rack off my second spares car or buy a new one or take the steering column off the spares car and use that.
A good nights sleep and make that decision in the morning.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login