Howto - lighted door handles

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

dhryjack
B1

Howto - lighted door handles

Post by dhryjack »

Hi guys

today i have been following this thread http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showt ... p?t=264728
I decided though to do it a little bit more stealth

Its a harder process but im glad i took it on, anyway here are the pics and guide

I brought my 5mm leds from ebay pre-wired

Start by taking off the door cards and removing the handles ( plenty of guides around for that )

Then remove the wing mirror switch

You need to remove the top casing from this switch its held in place by 4 tabs easily removed by a sharp kitchen knife

An inside shot of the switch

Now prepare the handle make a 5mm hole as shown

Place the led into the whole and glue

When its dried start soldering the wires to the mirror switch
Positive to bottom right
negative to top middle
as shown

Before putting the top cover back on it slot in through the hole in the handle, t hen replace the top and fit the switch to how it would normally look

miles better

test before putting back into door card if all ok put door card back on you have finished the drivers door :)

Now onto another door i did drivers rear but should be same process for the rest
Remove door card and handle etc, then remove the window switch its held in place by the following tabs - again remove the top cover as well tabs shown

When the top is removed also remove the bit that hold the oem led using sharp knife

your switch should now look like this

now do the same as previous door drill your 5mm hole insert led and glue, when thats done we are back to soldering.. take the bit that holds the oem led and insert the wires from your handle led like so note that they are inserted through the rear

On top solder the wires like so

You now need to remove some of the plastic i used the solder iron to melt it but do what you like just remember you need to allow for the wires width else your window switch will be under pressure and constantly be pressed it should look like

Put the top cover back on and place the swytch back into the handle
better :)

test replace door card etc etc and you should end up with

bad photo but i cant find my tripod :(

hope it helps good luck

This topic has 16 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login