B5.5 drivers window switch fix.

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bahnstormer
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

B5.5 drivers window switch fix.

Post by bahnstormer »

Thought I'd post a solution to my question raised in this thread here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :) There is a little story that goes with it too.......

Whilst fitting my iPod>CD Changer lead I decided to route it through the little hole in the ashtray (that the light shines through) so it could easily be coiled up and hidden away. When I removed the ashtray I noticed that the previous owners must have been smokers as there was a massive amount of ash trapped under there. I began to wonder if maybe the window switch in the drivers door was also gunged up with ash. So I decided to take a look. (Sorry for the dodgy iPhone pics)

First, remove the inner trim piece from the drivers door grab handle (Just use a flat blade screwdriver and lever it towards the door).

Once this is out, use the screwdriver to lever the whole switch assembly out of the door. Don't be afraid of breaking it, they seem to be pretty strong. You should eventually end up with something like this:

Remove the plug from the assembly and you'll be able to get to the back of assembly a lot more easily. Undo the 3 silver screws holding the switches to the door trim. Use a can of compressed air or an old toothbrush to clean all the gunk and dust out from under the switch buttons. You can also remove the little torx screws to clean inside the assembly itself, but there are a couple of things to remember:

1. It might not be strictly necessary to open the assembly up, it seems to be sealed very well and mine didn't have any dust in it.
2. If you do decide to open it up, do it with the switches pointing down, as otherwise lots of tiny pieces will fall all over the floor.
3. It definitely helps to be wearing a pair of natty tartan shorts. :mrgreen:

Refitting is the reverse of removal. Hopefully, this should've cured any problems you might have been having with your electric windows :)

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login