Painting with Rattle cans

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

deacon
B6
Passat model: B5.5

Painting with Rattle cans

Post by deacon »

Painting with rattle cans
It's all down to prep, if you get the surface perfectly flat and clean the rattle cans will give you a descent result,
It's been a while since i painted anything but I will try and remember.
invest in a sanding block and a small infra red heater, wet and dry sand paper and some panel wipe
sand the panel down with about 600 grit to remove deep scratches etc
sand again with 800 grit, invest in some panel wipe this helps remove dust and grease.
put on a couple of coats of primer leave for 5 mins between coats leave to dry for 1/2 an hour ( cheap infra red heaters are good for speeding this along only about £15)
Now you need to put on a guide coat, lightly spray some black or dark coloured paint, don't put on heavy this is just to show the low spots, once dry, sand back with 1000 grit.
You might need to repeat this a couple of times to get it right.
now put on a final coat of primer leave to dry then wet sand this with 1200 grit (soak paper in a bucket of water with some washing up liquid) at this point the panel should be silky smooth,leave to dry them give a good wipe down with panel wipe.
Now for paint, I used to put my cans in a jug of warm water, sounds odd but it warms the paint inside and increases the pressure so the paint comes out finer.
Give them a good shake to ensure the paint is well mixed, warm the panel up beforehand with the heater this will help the paint to stick.
now 1st coat nice and even about 6 inch away from panel following the curves, start spraying a couple of inches before the panel, finish the run the same, this keeps coats even, over lap each stroke approx 30% with a nice smooth constant movement not too slow or you will get runs and not too fast, you will see when you try.
leave for 15mins between coats use the heater to help, then build up coats around 4-5 until you have a good consistant colour, now leave alone with the heater for an hour or so to dry it through then if metalic spray 3-4 coats of laquer then leave to cool and harden overnight is best if you can.
the panel should look pretty good by now but there might be a couple of marks if it's a solid colour wet sand this with
1500 grit very lightly to avoid going through the paint, if it's metalic you will need to wet sand the laquer
wipe down with panel wipe after wet sanding now you should be able to polish to a shine. If you find it's still not quite right get some fine rubbing compound this is like t cut but better, then after that polish with wax
I hope this helps, It's the way I have been doing it and results were good preparation is essential
B5.5
TDI
Higline

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login