Radiator removal b5 - includes bumper removal

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

88rsr
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 TDI Saloon

Radiator removal b5 - includes bumper removal

Post by 88rsr »

Ok so this was gonna be a how to for radiator removal and auxiliary belts but our lasses camera decided it didnt like me and died (also missed a few pics)
so i'll put up what ive got and explain the best i can

ok so first i start by jacking the front end up and getting it on axle stands so i can acces the wheel arches and underneath the front much easier

then comes the bumper removal, firstly take off your grille (no pics but its self explainitory when doing it.. 4 clips at the top, and 4 between the bottom two slats of the grille)

take out the screw shown in the center of the pic - phillips head (one one each side)

the three shown in this pic - plastic phillips head and two torx head (the plastic one you unscrew and prize out thelittle peiece it unscrewed from)

take out the front indicators using the spring clip/hook shown here (you pop the indicator forward when youve removed the hook/clip)

unde the indicators are 10mm bolts (one at each side of course)

then i remove the bonnet pull clip shown here (theres a metal clip behind here thats a bit fiddly to flick off to take the bonnet pull handle off)

there 4 torx screws in the wheel arch 2 visible in the pic 1 at the bottom, and 1 at the top that screws vertically upwards, you'll see when doing the other screws more than likely

then theres 3 flat blade screws that you take out underneath one shown here, one in the center and one at the other side

and that should be the bumper off and front end lookin like this :mrgreen:

now the front crossmember/crash bar 1 torx bolt at the top (only 1 of the top ones you'll see when doing it, this goes for both sides)

and 2 torx head bolts at the bottom (again same on the other side)

then theres a 10mm nut at each side (for locating purposes)

thats that removed

and front end should now look like this...

now the air con condenser, theres a bracket like this at each side at the top, theres a little tab you flick and prize out the circular shaped pin

now theres 2 10mm bolts holding on the bottom pipe (and air temp sensor) 1 here

and 1 here

you then prize the top of the condenser away and slide it up and forwards off the lower locating lugs and put it to one side carefully, also theres a sensor on the top right of the condenser which you take the plug off

then take the coolant header tank cap off

grab a bucket to drain into and unscrew the bung at the bottom of the radiator (only partially and it comes out of the hole at the side, you can unscrew fully but then you have two holes to keep control of :lol:

draining...

then take a look at your top hose

flick out the clip so its like shown in this pic, then wiggle and pull the hose off

then i realised id forgotten to take the undertray off... so theres 2 plasic flat blade screws in each wheel arch they should only need turning 90 degrees

and three metal flat blade screw right at the back of the undertray

now you can see the bottom hose, again prize out the clip and wiggle it about to pull it off

then theres two more of those pins with the little tab that you prize out, one at each side

then slide the radiator out :mrgreen:

and your left with this...

obviously i would have gone on how to take the rest of the front end off but the camera died soo... sorry
hope this can help someone anyway :mrgreen:
Ricky

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login