STEERING WHEEL - 4 spoke to 3 spoke

This Section is purely for HOW TO step by step guides , if you want to submit a thread please email admin or post it up and we will moderate it accordingly....these can be discussed in the other relevant forums . ALL THREADS WILL BE LOCKED

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bobman
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.4tsi Touran

STEERING WHEEL - 4 spoke to 3 spoke

Post by bobman »

first off i disconnected the earth from the battery (to be safe i also disconnected the live aswell)

insert key into ignition and place wheel 90 degrees from middle, if you feel behind you will find a hole, insert a flatblade screwdriver into the hole and push it in upto an inch in and you should release the airbag lug, rotate the wheel thru 180 degrees and repeat with the other hole

your airbag should now be free

disconect the wirring plug from the back of the airbag and place the airbag to 1 side in a safe place where it wont fall on the floor

worn 4 spoke wheel

now with airbag removed

to take the middle bolt out you will need a 55 torx bit (which i dont have, only got upto a 50 torx bit) so i did a bit of modifying to a 10mm allen key, i chopped the ball of the end with my dremel and filled down the sides with the dremel aswell so as it would fit the middle steering wheel bolt

once you get a proper fit with the filled down 10mm allen key, i then used my wheel wrench placed over the end of the allen key so as to give some leverage to undo the main steering wheel bolt

remove the bolt, once this is removed, mark where the wheel is, you will notice a grove on the wheel next to the spline shaft, mark a mark on the spline shaft where the groove is

groove

bolt removed and wiring disconnected

remove the old wheel

now put on your new 3 spoke wheel replace the wiring plug and the earth connector and replace the steering wheel bolt

reconect the wiring plug to the back of the airbag and replace your airbag with a gentle push and there you go, all done

reconnect your battery and turn on the ignition, if done properly the airbag lite should go off

all done

just to point out, i used this how to from passatworld to find out how to take my old wheel off, also used my haynes manual

steering wheel how to
RIP Muff Diver

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login