RNS 510 Navigation

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

badbrez
Passat model: CC

RNS 510 Navigation

Post by badbrez »

Hi all,

Back in May I purchased a CC 140 GT Diesel - which has turned out to be a right drain on my finances for various reasons and a big mistake. I was told it was a 'navigation edition' and it just needed the new maps disc installing. Purchased a disc from ebay - no joy. I then asked VW to look into it while it was in for a service. Turns out it never left the factory with a sat nav (or antenna) and the RNS 510 unit was retro fitted.

VW fitted me a gen VW shark fin antenna and tried to install the v13 maps disc but to no avail. The nav worked for like 2 days on the old version 11 which i'm not sure if was already installed on the unit or VW did for me? But today it has disappeared and the nav keeps asking me to "insert navigation dvd".

Anyway I've spent most of the last 3 hours researching this and it seems I can get the v13 file and .iso image (whatever that means) onto an SD card somehow by downloading a 'maps-tool' package. Have tried this also - no joy. X( X( X( Am I going to have to buy a new RNS unit to get the nav working? has anybody else experienced this or got round similar problems? If I buy an SD card from ebay with the maps on (about £65) - will the nav work as soon as I plug into the SD slot??

Getting very tired of this car - any help will be gratefully received.

Paul