b3 stereo wiring - help!

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Neil Davies
still on the production line

b3 stereo wiring - help!

Post by Neil Davies »

Just after a bit of help with my stereo wiring on my 1992 B3 Passat L estate, especially related to colours and a switched 12V feed.

Bought a couple of new stereos today (Tevion 1293 model from Aldi of all places! CD, MP3, usb and SD card all for under 40 quid! :D ) and fitted one to my girlfriends 2004 Seat Ibiza - no problem - everything works a treat. 8)

Pulled the old tape player out of the Passat and checked the wiring to fit one to that - completely different colours and layout on the plugs! Speakers aren't a major problem - I think I've worked out what they are by looking at wiring codes on the net but I'll check anyway. They're on the brown connector and look to be in the right order:
pins 1&2 Right Rear - red/green +ve, brown/black -ve
pins 3&4 Right Front - red +ve, brown/white -ve (thought the red should be red/black though)
pins 5&6 Left Front - blue +ve, brown/blue -ve
pins 7&8 Left Rear - blue/green +ve, brown/red -ve

The black connector is more of a problem. :roll: The stereo has the following wiring:
Pins 1, 2 & 3 - all empty.
pin 4 - permanent +12V (fused) - yellow (guessing this is for the radio presets, clock, etc.)
pin 5 - auto antenna - orange (don't have a motorised aerial, so presume I leave this one blank too.)
pin 6 - panel light (says to connect to panel light switch, presumably for when lights are turned on) - white
pin 7 - ignition key +12V - red
pin 8 - ground (also fused) - black

The car has the following wiring:
pin 1 - blue/white
pin 2 & 3 - empty
pin 4 - brown/red
pin 5 - empty
pin 6 - grey
pin 7 - red/white
pin 8 - brown

According to the stuff I've found on the net, pin 8 - brown, is ground, so that can stay where it is. Pin 7 - red-white is the constant +12v. Thing is, it's a thicker wire so I would have expected that to be the switched feed, but I can't find anything about a switched feed in the info I've got - a couple of sites said that there is no switched feed. Pin 6 - grey, I haven't got a clue about, but I'm guessing at panel lights. Pin 1 - blue/white and pin 4 - brown/red I really have no idea about! :oops: :lol:

Anyone have any information that might be of use?
Thanks,
Neil
http://www.outlawflatfour.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login