old school head unit

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Passants
Passat model: B7

old school head unit

Post by Passants »

Hi all,

sorry for another thread about this, but I'm still not sure I've answered my question from reading the other posts.

I have a 2014 passat (B7 I htink but will have to check when I pick it up). I don't really like the inbuilt satnav and stereo, I've always had single DIN bluetooth receivers and a sub in the back. I've wired up quite a few in my time but I have some questions:

1. Can I just get a passat specific wiring kit and install it (with a single DIN head unit and a shelf)? I think I have to find a switched live cable from somewhere as the stock one is phantom power, is that right? Where would be the easiest to splice into?

2. I'm not fussed about the steering wheel controls (volume, call pick-up) or the satnav, but are there any features for the car that I would lose if I took the stock one out? I'm thinking trip counters, mpg menus etc?

3. I've always run a live wire from the battery with a fuse, to the back for the sub. Is this still doable without causing any issues?

I know a lot of people will advise getting an android unit but I hate the big screens, I just like a simple Alpine or Pioneer unit

Thanks in advance

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login