Double din help

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: Double din help

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:13 pm

GPS Sim??

VW1.TDI
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Yes... it has a slot for Gps.. apparently you download maps from Google play store... but it needs to be on a micro SD. I may just mirror my phone when I get a suitable lead.. :???:

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:37 pm

Complete rubbish lol. And its likely an SD slot not a SIM slot.

You can store maps on a fast SD if you want, but you just install any android nav app these days. What you would do is put on the likes of copilot, and configure the app to store map data on the SD card instead of android default location or locations.

Many of these units came with cracked copies of nav software supplied on an SD card, hence why this bogus terminology exists. That and the days when they didnt have a decent amount of internal ROM memory anyways. No longer pertinent.

Why on earth mirror your phone to an android stereo :) Run the apps on the stereo, thats how its designed to work!

There are many nav apps, Ive used them all, I use Nav on a daily basis for work.

In my opinion Copilot is the best featured, most stable and most reliable for routing. Its a paid app to get full functionality but it does not cost much, and to me its invaluable.

If you really must have free there are some, but if you look at Waze do some googling on the security and privacy concerns that abound about it. Any time now rumour has it google is finally putting cameras, speed limits, speed warnings etc into google maps, years late but never mind eh. If google got their act together and sorted maps/nav out it would beat them all.

https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/

Oh and have a decent data plan and use your phones hotspot to give the stereo wifi, as many nav apps need a live data connection for some features, and even if they can do it all offline, they still need updates and occasional downloads.

Plus its essential for spotify, soundcoud and audible :D

Theyre all pretty good on data consumption though, I stream spotify continually and only do a few gb at the most in a month.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:43 pm

Mindriot wrote:Complete rubbish lol. And its likely an SD slot not a SIM slot.

You can store maps on a fast SD if you want, but you just install any android nav app these days. What you would do is put on the likes of copilot, and configure the app to store map data on the SD card instead of android default location or locations.

Many of these units came with cracked copies of nav software supplied on an SD card, hence why this bogus terminology exists. That and the days when they didnt have a decent amount of internal ROM memory anyways. No longer pertinent.

there are many nav apps, Ive used them all, I use Nav on a daily basis for work.

In my opinion Copilot is the best featured, most stable and most reliable for routing. Its a paid app to get full functionality but it does not cost much, and to me its invaluable.

If you really must have free there are some, but if you look at Waze do some googling on the security and privacy concerns that abound about it. Any time now rumour has it google is finally putting cameras, speed limits, speed warnings etc into google maps, years late but never mind eh. If google got their act together and sorted maps/nav out it would beat them all.

https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/

Oh and have a decent data plan and use your phones hotspot to give the stereo wifi, as many nav apps need a live data connection for some features, and even if they can do it all offline, they still need updates and occasional downloads.

Plus its essential for spotify, soundcoud and audible :D

Theyre all pretty good on data consumption though, I stream spotify continually and only do a few gb at the most in a month.
Good stuff..... I am still confused about mirroring.. guess I need cable between phone and head unit...? Can I control Spotify and the nav on head unit itself? Do I need to download apps to head unit?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 pm

FORGET MIRRORING. :hyst

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Stop thinking of it like a separate stereo. Its an Android tablet with outputs, inputs and an amp akin to a car stereo.

You give it live data, and you install and run apps natively like you would any tablet or phone. If you mirror your phone all youve done is make it an expensive monitor.

Then you install AGAMA launcher to make it easy to control, and dont forget to look at the road sometimes lol.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Mindriot wrote:Stop thinking of it like a separate stereo. Its an Android tablet with outputs, inputs and an amp akin to a car stereo.

You give it live data, and you install and run apps natively like you would any tablet or phone. If you mirror your phone all youve done is make it an expensive monitor.

Then you install AGAMA launcher to make it easy to control, and dont forget to look at the road sometimes lol.
Excellent advice.. right ok... so I need to make a hotspot from my phone or fit a wi fi dongle to the back of head unit.. thanks.. why don't I know this stuff..

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 pm

They usually come with wifi built in, have done for a long time, what was your model again???

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 pm
They usually come with wifi built in, have done for a long time, what was your model again???
I t has wi fi aerial on back but needs wi fi dongle plugged into usb at the back.... Xtrons head unit.

Would you say to do this or use my phone (tethering) is it? :-??

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:28 pm

I would like to check the exact model number, if its any kind of recent model it should not need a seperate wifi dongle, dongles have their own antennas, so it wouldnt/shouldnt need one from the unit itself.

Just go into settings and check the wifi steup.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:28 pm
I would like to check the exact model number, if its any kind of recent model it should not need a seperate wifi dongle, dongles have their own antennas, so it wouldnt/shouldnt need one from the unit itself.

Just go into settings and check the wifi steup.
Xtrons PB78MTW1P :D

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Built in wifi.

You need to switch on your phone hotspot and go to the android settings menu, find the wifi section and set up a connection.

Dont use your hotspot open, have the maximum security (phone hotspot settings).

Once set up should be kept, so just turning on hotspot in your phone will let the stereo reconnect.

Also, consider getting a decent charging cradle for your phone to keep it well charged, the hotspot mode is heavy on the battery. I use brodit (expensive but the best) or fix2car wireless charging ones, however im experimenting with a wireless gravity mount.

In the t5 i use a brodit proclp to mount my charger on the a-pillar, and i have an app on called car dashdroid usually even if im not using the stereo or in my work van, digital speedo is very useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rdashdroid

I never go by the vehicle speedometer anymore lol, lets me do an exact 50, 70 etc every moment less driving counts with the miles i do!

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Mindriot wrote:Built in wifi.

You need to switch on your phone hotspot and go to the android settings menu, find the wifi section and set up a connection.

Dont use your hotspot open, have the maximum security (phone hotspot settings).

Once set up should be kept, so just turning on hotspot in your phone will let the stereo reconnect.

Also, consider getting a decent charging cradle for your phone to keep it well charged, the hotspot mode is heavy on the battery. I use brodit (expensive but the best) or fix2car wireless charging ones, however im experimenting with a wireless gravity mount.

In the t5 i use a brodit proclp to mount my charger on the a-pillar, and i have an app on called car dashdroid usually even if im not using the stereo or in my work van, digital speedo is very useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rdashdroid

I never go by the vehicle speedometer anymore lol, lets me do an exact 50, 70 etc every moment less driving counts with the miles i do!
Wonderful insight.... so is Agama similar to cardashdroid...do you have both? Need both..? Thanks..

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:57 am

The launcer is the frontend to android, the skin, ie the look and feel.

You can switch if you wanted, and you can have multiple installed, but why would you use more than one when the stock ones on these units are frankly rubbish and not well suited to driving.

Theyre similar in that theyre designed to be safe and simple in the best way while driving, the similarity ends there. Dashdroid suits a phone, agama is designed for android stereos.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Mindriot wrote:The launcer is the frontend to android, the skin, ie the look and feel.

You can switch if you wanted, and you can have multiple installed, but why would you use more than one when the stock ones on these units are frankly rubbish and not well suited to driving.

Theyre similar in that theyre designed to be safe and simple in the best way while driving, the similarity ends there. Dashdroid suits a phone, agama is designed for android stereos.
Hi.. been for a good drive today.. managed to get my phone connected through Wi-Fi hotspot.... downloaded cardashdroid on head unit.. just read your last message maybe change this for Agama.. keep Dashdroid for phone..

I do have a question... when I downloaded waze and Spotify onto H.U it would seem I need to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to play my music playlists until I've downloaded them onto H.U itself. I thought the H.U would just magic the music across from phone? Thanks for helping.. it's made a big difference. Will look into co pilot also.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:57 am
The launcer is the frontend to android, the skin, ie the look and feel.

Well... it's all good on the H.U front :D another long drive long 5.15 hrs to play with the H.U. Agama.... fantastic user friendly and didn't crash once!! on the Nav settings it only gives you syngi / google and something else!?! how did you get co pilot on the centre of the display?? Not that urgent as I could use Waze on the Nav icon at the outer circle of display... It's safe!! Impressed. :D thank you...

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Good stuff its surprising how much the right launcher improves things isnt it. You can use one of the many preset skins or design your own, not sure I would do that while driving though!

I generally have one of the skins with the roundel in center and speedometer on that, I usually only use copilot full screen or running in background. Right now Im waiting to get rid of my current stereo and replace, the touch function on the panel is slowly failing from the bottom up so I use a skin that keeps most of the buttons in the working area of the touch panel and screen. Very annoying, need to wait a couple of months then its the 10.2 screen Dasaita Max6 PX6 with the better DSP chip.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301437 ... 7ea7MxCtue

For agama long press and hold the nav button and it should give you the option to pick which installed nav software you have installed. Same with the other agama buttons.

Re spotify you have to toggle a setting to download and cache, its mainly a managing of data setting as some people want the streaming but somehow fail to realise that means live data. :hyst

Sygic used to be my favourite nav app, but I found it aggravatingly unstable and prone to other errors that caused a lot of delays and redownloading while I was trying to rely on it.

To give you an idea I use nav work driving 90% of the time, That constitutes appx 50,000 miles per year in recent times, so when I say Ive tried the apps in real life situations and worked my way through them, Ive got some realistic experience lol.

The final piece of the puzzle is a custom rom to properly relize the units capability, seeing as yours has an 8 core and assuming thats a PX5 CPU, you might look at Malaysk Rom or Hal9k, but certain hardware specs would need thorough checking first.

A custom rom dev takes the rom from the unit, removes all the junk installed that eats the ram and cpu capability, makes it as efficient as possible and then adds in loads of improvements and fixes, because frankly the stock developer roms on these are a solid D- as in could try much harder. These devs are amazing at what they do with these units.

I think a bit of time and familiarisation first though before even thinking about a custom rom. I'd go for the Hal9k rom myself, but Ive used both.

Some light reading :

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... s-t3847477

https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... d-t3762724

Oh and yes, you can still use AGAMA on top of custom roms, thats what I do.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 pm
Good stuff its surprising how much the right launcher improves things isnt it. You can use one of the many preset skins or design your own, not sure I would do that while driving though!

I generally have one of the skins with the roundel in center and speedometer on that, I usually only use copilot full screen or running in background. Right now Im waiting to get rid of my current stereo and replace, the touch function on the panel is slowly failing from the bottom up so I use a skin that keeps most of the buttons in the working area of the touch panel and screen. Very annoying, need to wait a couple of months then its the 10.2 screen Dasaita Max6 PX6 with the better DSP chip.

For agama long press and hold the nav button and it should give you the option to pick which installed nav software you have installed. Same with the other agama buttons.

Re spotify you have to toggle a setting to download and cache, its mainly a managing of data setting as some people want the streaming but somehow fail to realise that means live data. :hyst

Sygic used to be my favourite nav app, but I found it aggravatingly unstable and prone to other errors that caused a lot of delays and redownloading while I was trying to rely on it.

To give you an idea I use nav work driving 90% of the time, That constitutes appx 50,000 miles per year in recent times, so when I say Ive tried the apps in real life situations and worked my way through them, Ive got some realistic experience lol.

The final piece of the puzzle is a custom rom to properly relize the units capability, seeing as yours has an 8 core and assuming thats a PX5 CPU, you might look at Malaysk Rom or Hal9k, but certain hardware specs would need thorough checking first.

A custom rom dev takes the rom from the unit, removes all the junk installed that eats the ram and cpu capability, makes it as efficient as possible and then adds in loads of improvements and fixes, because frankly the stock developer roms on these are a solid D- as in could try much harder. These devs are amazing at what they do with these units.

I think a bit of time and familiarisation first though before even thinking about a custom rom. I'd go for the Hal9k rom myself, but Ive used both.

Some light reading :

What can I say....? :-bd Thank you.... 50,000 a year..!! I am doing 15-20k kids play compared to you ha :D

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Glad to help, people do not realise the potential, nor the full value for money of these things.

Granted they werent always so good but theyre getting better all the time, I'd never have anything else. Especially hooked up to my amps and speakers setup, then it really sounds good, custom wired to a roof mount gps and DAB ant, TV stick that never gets used lol, USB hooked up to a specific car USB hub in the back as well as a custom made usb dash port. Theres lots you can do with them.

I use an app and companion website called mycartracks(.com) to track my time, miles, journeys, locations, routes driven (speed, lol) etc for my own personal data and just out of interest, its through a small subscription (well worth it) that I keep track. Highly useful for remembering when and where youve been etc.

http://www.mycartracks.com

The app runs on your phone completely hassle free, doesnt kill the battery and auto records when it can tell youre driving, then syncs its data to the website.

For instance Ive done 4270 miles this month, 1552 of that in the last 7 days which constitutes 1 day, 9 hours and 55 minutes at the wheel.

Since I started using this particular app about April/May last year 67,890.36 miles which equals 1477h:42m:53s at the wheel.

You could even install it on the Android stereo etc lol

And driving isnt "the job" so to speak, just getting around inbetween what actually constitutes what I do lol. Sometimes I wish I would rather not know!

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 am

Definitely something else I didn't know anything about..!

I shall familiarise myself further with the launcher before doing any mods, thanks for the links.

You must get through some data?? I know I did yesterday :shock:

Saying that.. it was a long drive.. went to buy my Monti's :D

Do you know the best place to get hold of some hubcentric spacers? 15/20mm

Thanks again... :)

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am

Not sure i dont use spacers often. Im only using now as a temporary setup, might still need on the back. Its much harder speccing for a 4motion cant stagger widths if rolling dimensions front and rear differ more than 4% so prob have to do same all round and space the rear unless i get

I got my H&R second hand on ebay.

Plenty of places to buy on websites i think. Lots of unknown makes on ebay though some maybe ok maybe not.

Eibach, H&R and some other makes i cant recall are probably what to focus on

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:18 am

Mindriot wrote:Not sure i dont use spacers often. Im only using now as a temporary setup, might still need on the back. Its much harder speccing for a 4motion cant stagger widths if rolling dimensions front and rear differ more than 4% so prob have to do same all round and space the rear unless i get

I got my H&R second hand on ebay.

Plenty of places to buy on websites i think. Lots of unknown makes on ebay though some maybe ok maybe not.

Eibach, H&R and some other makes i cant recall are probably what to focus on
4 motion..

Blimey Eibach super pricey....just looked..

Will search some out.. looking forward to getting the wheels refurbished and new tyres fitted.. still can't decide on 225 or 235's I hate choice...

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm
Mindriot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Some light reading :

What can I say....? :-bd Thank you.... 50,000 a year..!! I am doing 15-20k kids play compared to you ha :D
well after a long time trying to sort my Agama... tbh I am really struggling with the phone icon switch long press just gives you the option to change ICON/APP/NAME I think! pressing App takes you to the Apps on the H.U but there is no phone App, can't work out how to get this phone on the Agama display... what am I missing :-?

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Bluetooth named app is the phone app, i know its not obvious.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you 8-|