Double din help

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

VW1.TDI
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Double din help

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Everyone....

I was really hoping to change my Radio + changer over climatronic with a double din unit.

My question is what unit would be recommended by anyone who has fitted one. anything up to £200 ish?

Would ideally prefer DAB + DVD.. Would I need a decent DAB rooftop mounted aerial also?

Passat B5.5 estate 2003.

Appreciate any help/advice.

I have read quite a bit on this but it's made me more confused.. :wink:

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Double din help

Post by Gazwould » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Most will fit , a 7" screen is ideal and combined with a reversing camera is handy .

But the stock speakers are archaic...

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks for reply!

Any recommendations for speakers then..? :???:

gtijames
B4
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Dont bother with a windscreen mount dab aerial, I've found most are rubbish! I've got a roof mounted one that looks like oe think it was Celsius but I can find a link if your interested

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Great that would be amazing!!! thank you..

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Post by Gazwould » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:26 am

VW1.TDI wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm
Thanks for reply!

Any recommendations for speakers then..? :???:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... t-speakers

+ adapter kit

For best results add panel damping .

Then more panel damping to the rear , a 10" sub in an custom Basser enclosure to the near side , Class D Mono block amp , 4 Gauge amp wiring kit...

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

gtijames
B4

Post by gtijames » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:32 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 pm
Great that would be amazing!!! thank you..
I have a CELSUS AN3022DAB it's a roof mount aerial that looks oe, did need powers to it which I took from the rear sockets. Was £30 from Ebay

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 pm

Thanks so much :D

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:44 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm
Hi Everyone....

I was really hoping to change my Radio + changer over climatronic with a double din unit.

My question is what unit would be recommended by anyone who has fitted one. anything up to £200 ish?

Would ideally prefer DAB + DVD.. Would I need a decent DAB rooftop mounted aerial also?

Passat B5.5 estate 2003.

Appreciate any help/advice.

I have read quite a bit on this but it's made me more confused.. :wink:
Hello thanks to all those that offered advice..

I took the plunge and bought a XTRONS H.U, A proper rooftop DAB aeria, and DAB+ USB stick

Does anyone know if I have to swap the yellow/red feed? confused about that. also the Xtrons is measured at 190mm x 115mm (perfect for the head unit original aperture I think from memory). I have been told by the seller I will not need a cage, so my question is... how does it fit in place??

I am sure when I offer it up I may have more questions if anyone can help?

Thanks again..

gtijames
B4

Post by gtijames » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:42 pm

For the feeds try it red-red and yellow-yellow if after you turn the ignition off wait and back on, if it doesn't keep the radio station swap red-yellow and yellow-red.
As far as the cage goes my pioneer double din doesn't have a cage but does have a adaptor surround that holds it

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am

gtijames wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:42 pm
For the feeds try it red-red and yellow-yellow if after you turn the ignition off wait and back on, if it doesn't keep the radio station swap red-yellow and yellow-red.
As far as the cage goes my pioneer double din doesn't have a cage but does have a adaptor surround that holds it
Thanks so much!

Steven24
still on the production line

Post by Steven24 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 am

Any pics of what it looks like as I can't decide whether to keep standard set up or upgrade

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Steven24 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 am
Any pics of what it looks like as I can't decide whether to keep standard set up or upgrade
Hi... not as yet still waiting for delivery... Arrgh been tooo long.. will take before n after shots... Only doing it for bluetooth and DAB.. OEM radio reception terrible in N.Wales!

Steven24

Post by Steven24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Yeah the Bluetooth I miss it used to be in my works van and the dab would be good providing you can get a decent reception

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Steven24 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm
Yeah the Bluetooth I miss it used to be in my works van and the dab would be good providing you can get a decent reception
Well.. it turned up!! No release keys :(

Loads of wires to try and 'bunch' up behind :shock:

Need a Fakra to female iso plug connector to connect my new aerial.

Apparently also I have to swap the yellow and red leads over...

Gonna need some connectors to do that unless the connectors individually pull out from iso connector block? so can swap them over?

So car is all wires and mess atm... wish me luck!

Steven24

Post by Steven24 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:15 pm
Steven24 wrote:

Gonna need some connectors to do that unless the connectors individually pull out from iso connector block? so can swap them over?

Oh no that would dishearten me straight away good luck though I hate messing about with wires

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Steven24 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 pm
VW1.TDI wrote:
Steven24 wrote:

Oh no that would dishearten me straight away good luck though I hate messing about with wires

Arrgh... well after much messing around headlining etc... headunit wont push all the way back!!! too scared to cut OEM headunit plastic cage away! Also the unit is perfect size but the fitting catchment springs dont connect to anything it seems.. The re;ease keys are horizontal and 4 of them.. as opposed to OEM vertical.... Do I need a specific cage??? help.. :sad:

Steven24

Post by Steven24 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Steven24 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:07 pm
VW1.TDI wrote:

Arrgh... well after much messing around headlining etc... headunit wont push all the way back!!! too scared to cut OEM headunit plastic cage away! Also the unit is perfect size but the fitting catchment springs dont connect to anything it seems.. The re;ease keys are horizontal and 4 of them.. as opposed to OEM vertical.... Do I need a specific cage??? help.. :sad:
Have you tried joining and asking on the b5.5 owners club page on Facebook there'll be somebody on there that's done it

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Steven24 wrote:

No, you need a fakra to iso powered antenna amplifier/booster, vastly discussed here and many a vw forum.

Stock hu amplify the aerial connection, aftermarket dont.

Link the exact xtrons unit you bought, you seem to be having far too much fitment hassle for a Passat.

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 pm
VW1.TDI wrote:
Steven24 wrote:

No, you need a fakra to iso powered antenna amplifier/booster, vastly discussed here and many a vw forum.

Stock hu amplify the aerial connection, aftermarket dont.

Link the exact xtrons unit you bought, you seem to be having far too much fitment hassle for a Passat.
Hi... its all fitted.!!.The aerial I fitted is an Eightwood DAB/FM 12V fed kind. which I've connected to the switched live.. please don't say I need a booster!?! do I ? cos If I am honest the signal is hit n miss especially fm.. but in N.Wales it struggles driving around? my last car 2014 Golf never had such issues! :(

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Ah I see, no, if the aerial is amplified directly that should be fine, just so used to the "I changed my stereo without reading anything or learning anything now Ive got no radio stations" type post lol.

I often prefer a stable switched 12V + supply for such things as opposed to the output many HU provide, more stable and usually more reliable.

Your golf probably had a diversity system with dual antennas as many later VAG models tend to have.

Tbh im not familiar with the eightwood make, Ive always stuck to modding in either VW's own GPS DAB roof stuff or the brands dabonwheels etc sell, more expensive but thoroughly discussed and recommended by many peoples real accounts of installs, sometimes you have to pay a bit for the right kit and not having issues or having to do the job more than once etc.

Double check all your connections, stuff often gets mangled and loose contacted when stuffing it all into the dash voids. It could even be down to how good, or not, the specific radio chip used in the stereo is, tha makers have a number of options they can design in.

This is what I have fitted on the T5 : https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... ar-aerial/

Worth the cost in my opinion, I mainly wanted the roof mount GPS antenna, always found the positioning fix to be much superior to dash pucks and stuff inside like phones etc.

Tbh though all I do is stream stuff now cannot stand the drivel (music or the excreta of the DJ's), cant remember the last time I even used DAB, which is far more patchy in coverage than people think, too many confuse the terminology of digital as something wondrous to fix all lol. DAB at its base level is still an analogue waveform. :hyst

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 am

Mindriot wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 pm
Ah I see, no, if the aerial is amplified directly that should be fine, just so used to the "I changed my stereo without reading anything or learning anything now Ive got no radio stations" type post lol.

I often prefer a stable switched 12V + supply for such things as opposed to the output many HU provide, more stable and usually more reliable.

Your golf probably had a diversity system with dual antennas as many later VAG models tend to have.

Tbh im not familiar with the eightwood make, Ive always stuck to modding in either VW's own GPS DAB roof stuff or the brands dabonwheels etc sell, more expensive but thoroughly discussed and recommended by many peoples real accounts of installs, sometimes you have to pay a bit for the right kit and not having issues or having to do the job more than once etc.

Double check all your connections, stuff often gets mangled and loose contacted when stuffing it all into the dash voids. It could even be down to how good, or not, the specific radio chip used in the stereo is, tha makers have a number of options they can design in.

This is what I have fitted on the T5 : https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/k ... ar-aerial/

Worth the cost in my opinion, I mainly wanted the roof mount GPS antenna, always found the positioning fix to be much superior to dash pucks and stuff inside like phones etc.

Tbh though all I do is stream stuff now cannot stand the drivel (music or the excreta of the DJ's), cant remember the last time I even used DAB, which is far more patchy in coverage than people think, too many confuse the terminology of digital as something wondrous to fix all lol. DAB at its base level is still an analogue waveform. :hyst
Wow.. thanks for all the information... you certainly know your 'stuff ' brilliant. I know i'd be lost without all the help I'am getting!!?!

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:22 am

Steven24 wrote:Yeah the Bluetooth I miss it used to be in my works van and the dab would be good providing you can get a decent reception
All done... ... apart from doors vibrating...some sound deadening and some newer speakers me thinks.. this is my van...what am I doing...!
20190727_111141.jpg
20190727_111024.jpg
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven24

Post by Steven24 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:44 pm

VW1.TDI wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:22 am
Steven24 wrote:Yeah the Bluetooth I miss it used to be in my works van and the dab would be good providing you can get a decent reception
All done... ... apart from doors vibrating...some sound deadening and some newer speakers me thinks.. this is my van...what am I doing...! 20190727_111141.jpg20190727_111024.jpg

That looks great very tidy job

VW1.TDI
B1

Post by VW1.TDI » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Steven24 wrote:
VW1.TDI wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:22 am
All done... ... apart from doors vibrating...some sound deadening and some newer speakers me thinks.. this is my van...what am I doing...! 20190727_111141.jpg20190727_111024.jpg

That looks great very tidy job
Thanks glad it all works.. Will try n get a GPS sim however you go about that!