Under seat subs

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Curtis_leroy
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Re: Under seat subs

Post by Curtis_leroy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 am

I bought one of the android units a while back which ended up draining my battery due to an old Cambus version in my passat so I had take it out. Finally got it back in recently despite being an older version now but would like to set up a amp sub rear speakers etc (mine only has front speakers as it's low end) any recommendations. Also how difficult is it to wire in the rear speakers? TIA

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am

Curtis_leroy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 am
I bought one of the android units a while back which ended up draining my battery due to an old Cambus version in my passat so I had take it out. Finally got it back in recently despite being an older version now but would like to set up a amp sub rear speakers etc (mine only has front speakers as it's low end) any recommendations. Also how difficult is it to wire in the rear speakers? TIA
That would be an early model B6 then, its a simple, cheap and known issue to fix, simply buy a second hand canbus gateway version E or later, fit it and and then a quick recode by VCDS, its the same issue that affects cars when retrofitting some of the original RNS systems too.

It also affects some othe VAG models including Golf and probably then some T5.1

Curtis_leroy
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by Curtis_leroy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Mindriot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am
Curtis_leroy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 am
That would be an early model B6 then, its a simple, cheap and known issue to fix, simply buy a second hand canbus gateway version E or later, fit it and and then a quick recode by VCDS, its the same issue that affects cars when retrofitting some of the original RNS systems too.

It also affects some othe VAG models including Golf and probably then some T5.1
Thanks for the reply mindriot. Sorry if i wasnt clear. I was.lookong on here a while back and established the problem I just struggled to code the new Canbus. Finally found someone locally with vcds to help me and my now three year old android unit is back in.

The passat is a low spec in honesty and so no reason rear speakers.

Now I've got the unit back in I'd like to look at fitting rear speakers sub amp etc but I'm not to tech savvy with sound systems. Just wanting to know if anyone has any recommendations on best equipment sub amp wise and how difficult it would be to retro fit rear speakers. TIA

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Not too hard, you might have to run rear speaker wiring, I would anyway, I dont know if all cars are prewired. 2 x adapters, 2 speakers a good match to the front ones.

First you need to establish if your stereo has on amped phono audio outputs and a trigger wire output to switch the amp.

You then need to pick and place an amp. Modern Class-D amps are very compact and cool running so theyre a great option, like a Bass Face DB4.3 for example. Class-D can be more easily put into small spaces and dont need the same level of exposure to air for cooling that class-A for example need.

You wire the amp by using a proper wiring setup with a direct feed from the battery, then a trigger wire from the stereo, then the phono cables from the stereo to the amp. Then you run the rear speaker wiring to the amp. I would also choose to run in new front speaker wiring in the same manner and leave the oem stuff untouched. You then disconnect the iso speaker wiring connector from the stereo and leave it disconnected.

If the stereo doesnt have phono outputs you would need to verify the amp has high level inputs available and you then mod the speaker wiring from the stereo to feed these inputs, its not as good but better than nothing.

If you have no wiring experience whatsoever I would recommend having it done for you, but it would involve a few hours labour I think.