RNS315 - Address Entry - or Upgrade

Have a big install or a question about your stereo put it in here .

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Ben Kenobi
B2
Passat model: B6 & B7 Est

RNS315 - Address Entry - or Upgrade

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 pm

We have a 3 year old Passat with an RNS315, I have no issues but the other half bitches about not being able to enter a 'house number' when using postcode entry - something I hadn't even seen but I rarely use sat nav in the UK. I tried it and she's right - if I enter the 7 digit postcode there is no option to enter the house number (software / maps are V9 - last year basically), the sat nav simply doesn't ask which number which on some roads that are either divided or otherwise hard to reach sometimes I agree that knowing which end of a road to approach from matters a lot.

Enough waffle -
  • Is this behaviour normal for an RNS315 (DAB version)
  • Does the RNS510 behave in the same way
  • Should I ditch the unit in favour of a Kenwood DNX525 or DNX516
All steering wheel controls and the in 'speed' repeat of directions must remain functional I'm not overly fussed about the voice control, I will NOT install any nav system that uses Naviextras as a supplier (I have had Clarion, Pioneer and Zenec units and had trouble with updates on every single one - and the support sucks big time, the manufacturer say it is Naviextras problem, guess who Naviextras blame - even when I proved that it was the Naviextras code at fault - but that's another story) - I have never had any issue with Garmin based units.

We do not want a portable sat nav since although cheaper and better probably we find it a pain in the butt to keep putting in / taking out / carrying around etc etc (well she does I don't drive it often).

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: RNS315 - Address Entry - or Upgrade

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Apparently the people who produce the nav software/app Navmii are behind many of the oem units software, if Navmii is anything to go by its ok but far far from the best.

Some nav software or apps dont use house numbers, unless its a very rural area usually the postcode is sufficient to put you in the right vicinity. As you pull into your final street you should immediately be clocking the house numbers both sides, work out the numbering convention in the street and then work out your destination by the numbers youre passing, thats how good delivery drivers do it.

Not all homes or premises have numbers, and if its dark and people dont light their properties properly then good luck and have fun lol.

Kenwood used to use Garmin, not sure if they still do. Fairly decent but its not spectacular either, and the subs for traffic, cameras, maps are expensive. The android nav app Navigon is basically garmin, have a try of that if theres a trial available. Its very good but horribly overpriced compared to better rivals.

Personally Ive trialled and used just about every nav app there is, and I mean all over the country in the process of doing various jobs, and by far the best are Copilot and Sygic, Sygic has the better interface but is buggy and sometimes unreliable, copilot is the more reliable of the two and has the best route planning options.

Youre better off either getting a mainstram unit that can cast your phone so to speak or buying an aftermarket Android unit and setting that up, but theyre not yet for everyone they require some patience and technical knowledge but theyre getting better al lthe time, I wouldnt have anything else.

Someone will chirp up Navmii is free, and Waze etc, but do some reading about the quite frankly dubious and brazen privacy abuses Waze perpetrates, and it positively encourages users to be fiddling with the phone all the time, which isnt good.

Ben Kenobi
B2

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm

The biggest issue with a lack of house numbers is that many house numbers aren't clear or obvious - more so at night, very few homeowners give any thought to making the number (or name) easy to see from the road or in poor light. Looking at house numbers takes your attention from where it should be for much longer than it should be - if you can at least get into the ball park you stand a chance.

I also know of at least two cases where the road has been blocked with bollards - or even walls - to prevent their use as a rat run - the post code on either side of the wall is the same.

I'm not saying all sat navs are perfect but the one in the Passat is deficient in many ways, Kenwood do still use Garmin, this isn't about cost. There are all kinds of aftermarket items but very few that integrate nicely with the car's existing systems so it is catch 22.

The DNX516DABS is looking like the only option currently, so far it seems that even the latest VW navigation doesn't permit house number entry if you use postcode - but you can use house numbers if you don't use postcode which just seems like a lack of foresight. Even my portable Garmin Nuvi 3590 permits you to specify a house number along with the postcode, the two Kenwood units I've had permit this, the Zenec 2010 permits this, even the Pioneer and Clarion units permitted this - so for the VW system not to given the cost is simply not acceptable.

I do agree on the co-pilot, I use that on an iPad in the van - but an ipad is too big for the car and it doesn't integrate with the car - and carries the same penalty as would a portable sat nav - put in, take out, carry round - just too much hassle for daily use.

I'm not in any rush, I don't want to install something I'll regret which I did with the Zenec 2010 (they stopped updating the available maps for this unit within 2 years of buying the damn thing) and the Clarion (I had to send the Clarion back to Clarion after a NaviExtras update bricked it - cost me £300 to fix that mess), the Pioneer AVIC was a nice unit and wasn't too bad but it didn't integrate with the car at all well, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't and the bluetooth phone connection was also challenging.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Thats the funny thing about post codes lol, theyre geographic area designations, not street designations.

Ah well over a long time ive found 99% of streets easy to navigate safely, thousands of streets, in anything up to 7.5T, must be a difference in experience lol.

Yes theres always out of date street info but funnily enough a bit of exploration and patience solves that, or horror of horrors get out and explore a bit on foot, theres plenty of lazy muppets from taxis to delivery drivers fail on that one, let alone ordinary individuals.

I think the only bit I agree with is lack of care or thought in identifying property clearly, its often the biggest whingers about delivery issues too!

For my own vehicles i use android stereos, currently a 10 inch screen unit in my T5, for work vehicles i use my android phone, a bluetooth fm modulator and a screen mount.

Good luck it would seem youre limiting yourself to the most expensive options.

Ben Kenobi
B2

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Agreed - but why it has to be expensive is a source of some annoyance.

This is actually partly about deliveries, it is for the missus who needs to be able to go to all kinds of obscure, mostly private address's as part of her business where research of the area just isn't viable.

She needs an in car solution, the B6 Passat she had previously (which we still have) has a Zenec 2010 but it is about the worst unit I've ever bought, the firmware is based on Windows CE but the apps it uses are horrid, it has also never worked properly with the car, so many issues with it and it hasn't been updated since 2012, and can't be - even if by some miracle there are now maps available nothing on this earth will make me do business with Naviextras ever again.

The Kenwood I had (a 7210BT) was one of the best in car nav's / system I've used - of course things may have changed now that Kenwood seem to use Android - I don't know what the 7210 used.

As you say expensive options - and potentially a very expensive mistake.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Simple solution for Windows CE units, the bin.

Well as I said before, a screen cast unit or Android, either an intel Sofia (atom X3) based unit or an 8 core Arm 7 based unit. Android 5, 6 etc. Anything older spec ignore.

£200 - £300 from the likes of autopumpkin, Xtrons or Joying. Go to their uk sites direct, ignore ebay resllers, and buy direct with uk warranties. These are in my opinion the best makes supplying the better grade of components, though many of the makes, including these are based on the same basic hardware designs but these 3 seem to get it right most often.

Use the phone wifi hotspot for the data, and use Android with a decent launcher. Then youve got Android, google play etc and total compatability with the spectrum of decent android apps, and all the best nav apps, as I said sygic or copilot, and for relatively very small sums you get the best nav options money can buy.

I can advise you quite well if you go the Android route, cost vs functionality, and a simple bit of tweaking when installing and you can keep a unit running either switched from ignition or permanently on, a tweak she will soon appreciate making deliveries.

I do hope however this business delivery reference of yours doesnt mean another lifestyle courier!

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:28 pm

https://xtrons.co.uk/volkswagen/android-car-stereo.html

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-stereo-24.html

Joyings UK site seems gone or down, lately I'd lean toward xtrons anyway.

Believe me, dont let your Win CE door stop put you off, the latest stuff really is getting to the same quality and usability as the mainstream stuff.

Ben Kenobi
B2

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I was very tempted by the 'pumpkin' units some time back - I'll look these links over.

No she's not a lifestyle courier, she imports African art / fashion items, has clothing tailor made for the African community (and anyone else who cares to part with coin ...)

Many of those she supplies aren't generally mobile and it is hard to measure somebody over the phone so no she doesn't do the lifestyle thing, or energy, , evangelism, glazing or any other of the numerous annoyances that knock on the door.

I'll look the links over - copilot has been faultless on my ipad - how much integration with the car is possible based on your experience ?

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Basic canbus, had limited results in my B6, and I dont bother with canbus in my 07 T5, no point.

Tbh its an over rated feature set, at worst all you will get is door open warning and sensing reverse, not much to get excited about, in later cars you might get climatronic info and reverse sensor OSD display if its VW PDC but theres been mixed results from those that have fitted stuff.

However apart from PDC its all a bit superfluous anyway, its more than worth it just for the sheer feature set and usefulness of the stereo itself.

You can either forgo the canbus adapter and simply wire to the quadlock and add in a switched live feed (not present in quadlock), or use a basic canbus adapter which usually allows options for keeping steering wheel or stalk controls which is more important than some on screen stuff that just tells you the obvious.

Depending on the age and year of your B6 you "might" need to update and recode the cars canbus gateway module for a later revision, otherwise you can get a parasitic drain fault that flattens batteries, but this isnt exclusive to aftermarket units, it can happen with some of the RNS 5xx units when retrofitted too.

All the normal car audio features are just as viable, but I would recommend speaker upgrades to match, and ideally a Class-D compact amp somewhere discreet.

As long as you set the units up right and you have a launcher thats functional and useful I think its hard to beat these units if your skills are up to a decent stereo installation.

Ben Kenobi
B2

Post by Ben Kenobi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:37 pm

This is for a B7 - the B6 is in semi retirement, still a sound car, should sell it on but we've owned it for pretty much its entire life, it has never let us down seriously so I find it hard to part with.

I don't care about the fancy stuff via Canbus but it would have been nice to retain the wheel controls - I have had issues with none VW radio's in VW cars because of the diversity antenna etc, adding a hocky puck GPS antenna, DAB antenna and yet another microphone for a car already equipped with them grates a little. (this may be down to the Zenec which has left a very bad taste in the mouth - and it wasn't exactly cheap!!)

The search continues

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Well basically the B6 and the B7 are the same car, just an evolution. Styling wise I personally think for the worse.

You shouldnt need to worry about the can gateway and you may find the canbus electronics are more co-operative.

Yes you might need to add the gps antenna, depends on whether the cars own one can be interfaced simply by the right fakra to rp-sma adapter, and the same goes for mic. but its really not a big deal to add them if youre capable with car wiring.

Over time the B6 and then the B7 evolved in steps for both specification of equipment and electronics, what model and year is better put to those more familiar, the last Passat I had was a 56 plate SEL.

As for the diversity antenna, youll lose that, a lot of the antenna adapters for the installation just parallel the antennas, this is not a good thing and why many find they cannot get decent radio reception later. Instead you pick the primary antenna and use a booster to that. You also need to know if the B7 FM antennas are independently amplified or whether that function was via the oem head unit, because if theyre not independently amplified you need a booster adapter instead, because aftermarket units do not amplify the antenna.

Also, if the car had DAB and the unit you you would also need to investigate if the right fakra adapter exists for that too.

Its not exactly complicated, but neither is it simple, which is where a lot of people go wrong making simplistic assumptions. :)

There are plenty here who can elaborate further, often with the right knowledge and adapters a lot of the cars original items can be repurposed if you do it properly.