PD 130 engine,same in Vw Golfs?

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

B5before
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

PD 130 engine,same in Vw Golfs?

Post by B5before » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 am

Ok as mentioned in another thread my B5.5 1.9tdi has a few problems which I’m pretty sure is due to blocked plenum drains.
I know there is a general opinion that the PD 130 engine is no proof but it’s let down by the fact the plenum drains get blocked and it can cause a lot of trouble.
So my question is what other Vws have this engine but in a car that doesn’t have this problem.
Does the golf have it as don’t need the car to be as large as a Passat,it carries a maximum of 2 people and that is seldom.
I need a workhorse,I do 100 miles a day 95% motorway.
Can anyone tell me if the golf would fit the bill in your opinion?
Thanks

BIG F@ TW@
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

Re: PD 130 engine,same in Vw Golfs?

Post by BIG F@ TW@ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 am

Once you've removed the rubber grommet from the drain hole you're good to go. It's the rubber grommets that cause the water build up as they get blocked with leaves etc. Loads of guides on here for how to remove them (really really easy) and they aren't needed.
error code: Jeff

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am

I used to clean them every year, but yesterday I changed my battery and pushed them out, so no more water in there. To be fair, that's a 5 min job, one battery is out. Probably because of cleaning that area regularly, I never suffered from any water leaks through pollen filter or ecu case, but better to be on safe side.
About pd130 engines, those in golf/bora internally are the same, due to different position in engine bay there are different engine mounts, inlet/outlet manifolds and so on. But technically it should be about the same good.

aman23
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: b5.5

Post by aman23 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am

After looking at a 1.9tdi golf the other day, the engine bay seems cramped and harder to work on. I would say I prefer the longitudinal design of the passat. Everything seems more accessible including the egr and turbo. I’m not saying the golf is bad in anyway but it’s not without it’s own issues.

I went through 4 brake switches in my wife’s 2002 petrol golf, but vw did say it was due to a faulty batch.

Had to change the alternator which was very expensive. Not difficult but ended up buying a refurbished Bosch.

Had to change 2 engine mounts and the gearbox dogleg mount which looks to be common issue.

Even though not applicable to the diesel, I had to buy ignition coils for the duration we owned the car. 25 pound each x 4 at least 3 times. But I later learned that vw did a recall and there new parts were better.

Cts and thermostat needed changing plus a oxygen sensor. The whole exhaust had to be changed too.

Loads of other stuff I can’t remember now but point being golfs have just as many issues especially as there getting older now. Might be leaning towards a passat because I have had it longer and relate to it more but most likely very similar problems in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B5before
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Post by B5before » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 am

Hmmm ok so it’s not perfect then the golf.The plenum drains fix isn’t so hard to do but if it isn’t done and the water gets in like it has done with my Passat it causes a few problems.