Watch out if selling, oil in coolant scam!

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Dazmeister
B1
Passat model: B1

Watch out if selling, oil in coolant scam!

Post by Dazmeister »

Just a heads up in case nobody is aware of this scam by buyers if you are selling your car.

For convenience I listed my B6 VW Passat TDi Sport Estate with on Gumtree looking for a quick local sale. Within minutes I had a call from a hard to understand gent who was keen to view ASAP and was about 140 miles away so would be a few hours. That was ok with me as I was at work so they were due to arrive at 6pm but got here at 8pm. Anyway there were three Romanians who turned up in an old e46 BMW and I was on my own. They immediately wanted to see the engine which is normal so popped the bonnet. They pointed out a few oily bits but its a 182k diesel, they are oily! One of the men asked me to open the boot to see the spare so I did this with him and it turned out to be a diversion tactic. Still none the wiser I went with one of the guys for a test drive and he pointed out a rattle and that the engine was noisy. I said that is the normal sound of an old diesel but when we got back he pulled up blocking the road under the street light and popped the bonnet. The other two were quick to come and open it, I got the key handed to me and told to look in the engine. They opened the header tank and dipped their fingers in and out came dirty black oil! I thought oh my gosh the headgasket has gone and I have given these guys a wasted journey. They pointed out this and that and said it was pressurising and blowing oil back into the header so was knackered. Now I am no mechanic but it took a few mins to click in that they had poured dirty oil in earlier when I was in the boot. I played it cool as they said they were still interested as they had another one with damaged front and could use it for parts. Their offer was half my asking price, £700. I drove the car back on the drive and locked it. They kept on going on about my best price and they could get it recovered etc and it would cost. It all got somewhat intimidating even though I am a big bloke and if they wanted the car it was £1200 no less. I just wanted them to go, next thing I was being asked for money towards fuel as they had a wasted journey! Then I just blew and told him I knew what they had done and they better leave as I was phoning the Police. I went in and they did leave but I didn't phone the Police, should have really.

Anyway its another thing to look out for so just making you aware as the target VW, Audi and BMW's. I am sure a person with less knowledge might have just fallen for it.

I have had to totally flush the whole coolant system because of these chump and lost a potential sale from a genuine buyer.

I think that is me done with used cars, next one will be new on PCP.
1974 B1 Coupe
2002 B5.5 TDi 130 Sport Estate

This topic has 15 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login