2 Stroke Petrol Strimmer issues...

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

little_geoff
B7
Passat model: B5.5

2 Stroke Petrol Strimmer issues...

Post by little_geoff »

OK, so i got a cheap "spares or repairs" Makita EM2600 petrol strimmer from ebay, and just thought i would see if anyone on here had some experience with these engine?

I only paid £26 for it, so i'll take it to be professionally looked at if needs be, but for the price of genuine gaskets and replacement carbs, i'll have a crack at it myself first. - at that price i see it as a good opportunity to learn about small 2T engines, without feeling out of pocket if i do knacker it.

The guy i bought it from runs a gardening business and said it had carburetor issues, and that it had been repaired previously, but was still cutting out....
I've had a look at it, and it's had some generic replacement gaskets fitted (which are leaking) but the rest of it is virtually new. He said he'd only used it for hedge trimming, so the stimmer head hasn't never been used. :hyst

First things first: i am strugging to find the series number of the carb. (for ordering replacement gaskets) I know it's a Walbro WYC unit, but the only other numbers i can find are 34 and 240, neither of which match the Walbro unit. I've looked at the youtube video, and just can't find any other numbers.

I have also noticed some oil around the seal on the spark plug,is this normal for 2T engines? (or am I losing compression?)

I have already had the spark plug out, cleaned it and checked the gap. I have also taken the carb off, and cleaned the mating surfaces, before putting it back together....still no joy in starting it though.
I also bought some Makita 2T oil from screwfix so that i got the right ratio of 50:1 for the fuel.

So just wondering is anyone could be of assistance?
2004 B5.5 1.9TDi 130 AWX

This topic has 25 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login