Spammers

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

water01
Site Admin
Passat model: B5.5 1.9 TDI 130

Spammers

Post by water01 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 am

Every now and again we get a Kitchen Spammer etc.etc. Luckily compared to most sites we don't get many thanks to our Anti Spam registry software.
BUT when we do can I please, please request you don't post in the Topic as this makes the cleanup harder. Either Report it, or PM or EMail me and then ignore it until it and its user is deleted.

Thanks

David
David Jordan

2003 130 1.9TDI Sport Estate Reflex Silver

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Re: Spammers

Post by Mindriot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Usually I just report posts though I did react once the other day just in case they had used a real email address :)

Understood.

Adam
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 1.8T Wagon

Post by Adam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:17 am

Yet despite this thread, and common sense the latest batch of spam seems to have had countless replies.

One person even translated the script for us!? :shock:

cliff81
B7
Passat model: b5.5 1.8T Wagon

Post by cliff81 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Everyone's posting time seems to be an hour in front...

vwnutant
Site Admin
Passat model: B6 TDI SE

Post by vwnutant » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm

im at work unable to sort till gone midnite ive asked peeps to ask david for me pls
=VWNUTANT - ADMIN/OWNER -UKPASSATS.CO.UK=

===CONTACT ME FOR MERCHANDISE OR BUSINESS/ADVERT ENQS FOR FORUM===
SPECIAL OFFERS FOR 12 MONTH PACKAGES AND ONGOING CONTRACTS

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm

cliff81 wrote:Everyone's posting time seems to be an hour in front...
This because you have not unticked British Summer Time in your profile, I do remind everyone when it occurs but "you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink".

Hopefully all spammers gone but can I remind you the reason for this Topic was to stop you posting in Spam topics as it makes our job so much harder

SO STOP!!!!!!!!
David Jordan

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Obviously 16th Feb is Autobot Spammer day, never seen so many, think I have got most of them!!
David Jordan

wingz123
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5 110 TDi

Post by wingz123 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Madness innit......
UPDATE!! -I now have access to over 90 vans direct from one of the leading leasing companies - Just ask! - Relays,Sprinters,Caddy's,Transits etc.

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 am

May I remind you NOT to post in obvious SPAM topics such as Kitchen Suppliers!!

We don't get many SPAM posting and we try to clean them up ASAP but if you post in them it makes the clean up harder, so PLEASE DON'T.
David Jordan

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: Amarok Ultimate

Post by dubber36 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 am

We get the kitchen spammers on TDI Sport from time to time. One of them left his personal email address in his profile. dreaming936@gmail.com How careless. :twisted:
2004 V6 TDI gone and replaced with a 2011 TDI Sport DSG which has gone too.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Thu May 08, 2014 7:30 am

I just click the report button when I see spam, if no-one has reported yet it continues to the report page, otherwise it notifies that the post is already reported, thats all thats needed from us.

Sometimes Ill even track down the posts via the spammers profile and report all the posts.

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:09 pm

water01 wrote:Every now and again we get a Kitchen Spammer etc.etc. Luckily compared to most sites we don't get many thanks to our Anti Spam registry software.
BUT when we do can I please, please request you don't post in the Topic as this makes the cleanup harder. Either Report it, or PM or EMail me and then ignore it until it and its user is deleted.

Thanks

David
Please, please READ and understand. In the last hour we have had 2 spammers (Kitchens again!!) and instead of 2 User delete and bans, I had to spend extra time cleaning up the Topics to remove posts before I could delete the User and the Topic, and being on the end of a dodgy broadband connection (PlusNet investigating!!) I am not amused!!

DO NOT POST IN OBVIOUS SPAM TOPICS X( X( X( X( X( X(
David Jordan

fluke
Passat model: B5.5 TDI Sport

Post by fluke » Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Ban em :hyst
Dave

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
======
Cooper B5.5TDI wrote:I never rush a deep one....but she's handled about 14 inches so far with success

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sat May 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Its that long since I registered I cant recall if you use verification.

Perhaps its time to introduce user verification via email for new registrants?

It wont stop everyone but itll stop some getting on if they use fake emails.

Does phpbb have support for RBL checking during registration and other check lists enforced during post submission like stopforumspam.com etc?

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Registration is as per phpBB advice using a Q&A captcha question and answer and UTC-12 Registration block. These must be real people wasting there time because autobots have not broken Q&A captcha.
David Jordan

theredfox
Passat model: b5

Post by theredfox » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 pm

sorry it was me that posted wont do it in future lesson learned ^:)^ :-

paul

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Mindriot » Sun May 11, 2014 12:22 am

water01 wrote:Registration is as per phpBB advice using a Q&A captcha question and answer and UTC-12 Registration block. These must be real people wasting there time because autobots have not broken Q&A captcha.
Yep real muppets. Really annoys me youll even see job adverts under the title of "internet advertiser" or "social media advertiser" and terms like "work from home"

These idiots are either ignorant of rules or just dont care. Its usually some berk whose given a quota and some guidelines for rubbish reward pay on how to find forums etc and told to do product placement posts, urls and scripted text. Theyre told nothing about rules and etiquette or even misled what theyre doing is ok. Quite often theyre even conned into doing some work before they find out theyve been had.

A lot of its based on outdated techniques. For instance find 100 top ranking sites that get spidered daily, place some SEO word rich text and a link to a site in an attempt to boost its ranking and push it up the search engine placement. If they trick a lot of real people to click through and visit so much the better as sometimes these scumbags are employed by site promotion agencies and paid services that "garuntee" directed traffic for money, so the client "sees" a big jump in traffic so it must be working.

Its all dishonest and black-hat BS in some way or other basically.

On a forum I look after I have employed email verification links for years, as most of these idiots use fake emails they never get the confirmation and never follow up, so about once a month I just go through and check all the unvalidated accounts and its obvious whos a waster and who was real, and if one is dumb enough to verify and spam which is extremely rare I just permanently disable the account but dont delete it, usually stops them re-registering if theyre not very bright.

You could always ~IP ban but that risks hammering genuine users too much with all the dynamic IP ISP's, and of course wont stop people who know how easy it is to spoof their IP.

In reality real spammers are very hard to stop beyond making registration more difficult, but that risks defeating some novice web users lol.

water01
Site Admin

Post by water01 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 pm

May I remind you NOT to post in obvious SPAM topics.

Since the new anti-spam features of this version of PHPBB were installed we don't get many SPAM postings and we try to clean them up ASAP but if you post in them it makes the clean up harder, so PLEASE DON'T.
David Jordan