VW value in AUSTRALIA

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

golddust
B3

VW value in AUSTRALIA

Post by golddust »

Hi everyone, well bit of an announcement and a question.

Having lived down under for 1 year back in 2003/4 me & the Mrs really miss the place. Add to that the dissappointment at how the UK is going downhill etc and we've now agreed that we will relocate to Australia. However it's still several years away, the Visa takes up to 2 years, so we're looking at about 3 or 4 years time.

However this still means we need to start planning ahead, things like selling house, ditching possessions and planning what will or will not be shipped over.

Now that's where I want to talk to you lot!

I'm able to ship a car to Australia for about £850, plus you can fill the car with your personal possessions, which if we were shipping those anyway would save us about £500 in shipping costs. SO, the real cost of shipping a car is about £350.

This raises the question of should we plan to sell our VW's in the UK and then replace them when in Australia or take our UK cars with us?

Thing is down under a VW is rather expensive compared to the UK as they are of course a European import. I'm finding it hard to get real values for 2nd hand though.

So, I wonder if anyone has any first hand knowledge of 2nd hand VW values in Australia?

Also, you reckon I'm better off paying a bit to ship our existing cars over or buying fresh over there? Or indeed might even be worth buying a newer/better Passat specifically to take with me (if it transpires UK prices are a lot cheaper!).

Anyone made the big move themselves?
Passat No.3: 2001 B5.5 TDI Estate in metallic grey & 2005 Bora TDI Highline
================================
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login