Best Roads

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

erl72
B6
Passat model: B3 2L GT 16v

Best Roads

Post by erl72 »

Every now and again someone mentions a fantastic road, whether just for the sheer business of driving along it or for the amazing scenery and so on.... or maybe a great driving tour you've done at some point in a touristy type fashion. Since we're all here because of our cars I thought a thread recommending some great drives would be in order so here I am starting one off. Lets give location, road number if applicable and why it's so great and every time we find a great road lets add it to the list :P 8)

My top road tips and the reasons why are as follows, some of them are obvious choices really:

- Scotland - The B8019 between the A9 just north of Pitlochry and Tummel Bridge. Views blocked out by the trees which is fortunate because you need to be concentrating on the road; twists and turns, ups and downs, what a laugh.

- Scotland - The B863 around Loch Leven off the A82 just north of Glen Coe (which is also spectacular). Great views and a great drive if accompanied by some responsible welly :D

- Cumbria - Hardknott and Wrynose Passes, unclassified road running East/West to the west of Ambleside. Fab for views and the challenge of the drive in parts.

- North Yorkshire - a little circular tour wherever you want to start it. I started at Grinton just west of Richmond, went south across Redmire Moor, onto the A684 and West along Wensleydale, at Hawes go North over Butter Tubs Pass to Thwaite and go East along the B6270 along Swaledale right the way back along to Reeth (worth a stop, lovely viillage) and to Grinton. Again, a mixture of fab views and a great, great drive.

- South Yorkshire - A57 between Sheffield and Glossop includes Snake Pass and a drive alongside Ladybower Reservoir where they tested the bouncing bomb used by the Dambusters. Scenic and a good old drive.

Still thinking.... will add some more later :D
Eddi :D 1990 Passat GT 2.0 16v (clickable sig)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login