Thinking of doing a big euro road trip

Post all your non car related and general chat in here for us all to have a laugh about !- Topics will be moderated if out of hand/offensive !....

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

vim147
B4

Thinking of doing a big euro road trip

Post by vim147 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Am toying with the idea of buying a cheap car and doing a 10-15k mile road trip around Europe even into Turkey and Russia.

Am just thinking if the car breaks down and beyond repair what could I do ?

Something like that would really wee me off and I'd end up dumpling the car or just sell it there for scrap.

If I did sell it there how would I go about letting dvla know I scraped / dumped it in Russia ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

passatsel230
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Re: Thinking of doing a big euro road trip

Post by passatsel230 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

You are over thinking it, just forget it and put your slippers back on and watch the telly. :ymhug:

Seriously, just do it, buy something roomy, go through all the comsumables and just set off. I know I should not say it and will get slated but I would choose a series 1 Honda CRV. We had one for seven years, it got to 200k when it failed the MOT test with just too many things but was still going strong.
Have you been mis-sold TDi.

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Re: Thinking of doing a big euro road trip

Post by ray112 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Did about 5 or 6 roundtrips through Europe (each time about 5-6k miles) with my old b5 passat 1.9 TDI, which had over 300k miles on clock, but still never had any problems really. This summer did it with E39 BMW, and again, just enjoying road, no problems at all, car had nearly 200k on clock. So none of them were low mileage or nearly new cars, but they are better built quality than now, and most likely could overlive any vauxhall insignia or other poo cars, where engines blow up before reaching 100k miles.

So do worry too much, just make sure timing belt etc is up to date and enjoy your trip.