P0234 Overboost

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Bainsy87
Passat model: B6

P0234 Overboost

Post by Bainsy87 »

Hi,

I have a 2006 BKP passat sport estate. I have coming up every now and then a P0234 overboost fault. To explain this further it doesn't seem to have rough idle and up to 80mph runs fine. Under hard acceleration when warm I get a weird whistle noise. Like a boost leak. I can Still achieve nearly 50mpg at 70mph run. If I creep past 80 or give it a hard acceleration from 65mph it goes into limp mode returning a P0234 fault code. I can turn off and back on and it resets the car and return full power. However when I restart it struggles and vibrates a lot. I have noticed a hole in the intake pipe which I will rectify tomorrow. The conditions it does it in is when the outside air temp is above 11 degrees. Which sounds strange I admit, however after running from Liverpool to Heathrow and back again. Going to Heathrow loaded with additional 2 adults and one child at 1pm it went into limp mode twice and couldn't get to 80mph (yes i know speeding but who doesn't lol) but coming back I hit the m6 toll late at night with outside temp at 9degrees it could reach 90mph. I am wondering what should I look at first. I know the turbos can be an issue with this engine code. However I don't want to go in at 200 plus quid for a turbo and not resolve my issue. I am fairly familiar with cars and can take on most tasks myself. So am willing to do some digging myself. Any suggestions or help would be fantastic

Many thanks Bainsy