333K Mileage (and whether to keep going)

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Jimmo
still on the production line

333K Mileage (and whether to keep going)

Post by Jimmo »

Hello folks

I have been registered on the forum for a while, but don't really post. I do tend to lurk and read some of the tech items and problems etc for trouble shooting.

I've had my 2007 B6 Passat for nearly 10 years and it has become somewhat of an old friend. I've become quite attached to the old thing and I suppose there is also some sentimentality given I sat in it for 298K of the miles.

That said it has almost reached 333K but has been a bit smokey over the last couple of months. A new clutch, timing belt and tandem pump have been carried out since May 2019. It has an MOT to June 2020 and it flew through its recent MOT with the tester telling me the car is still solid.

It is currently laid up with a suspected turbo failure. albeit the engine still runs like new on idle. :( :(

If indeed it turned out to be ONLY a turbo failure (with no peripheral damage) and outlay could be £600-800 to repair, would you guys go on or call it a day. Can these cars go on much longer at this level of mileage?

Everyone around me keeps telling me to scrap it :-@ , but I'm having trouble parting with it :((

Your thoughts would be appreciated and thanks again.

PS I hope I've posted this the correct section,

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login