Guide/Advice/Tips on removing scratches from bodywork, windshield and chrome.

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

markkernaghan66
still on the production line

Guide/Advice/Tips on removing scratches from bodywork, windshield and chrome.

Post by markkernaghan66 »

Hi folks, newbie here. To pre-face. Just finished uni so not exactly strapped with cash. Anything that will save me money is HIGHLY preferable, without cutting major corners.

Got an 07 10000 mile passat, it's got a few scrapes and scratches. Most aren't very deep, therefore likely DIYable. Quite a few scratches on the front windshield. Assuming grit or a cat got stuck behind the wipers with how bad it is. I've seen a few tutorials (ChrisFix - reliable?) on what to do in these situations.

I don't have a power buffer though I would get one to speed this all up, est cost?

Fixing the paint scares me with the need to sand it down slightly, obvs if done right its no issue but what if I willy it up, being a useless snowflake and all that. Est cost for professional fixing of scratches?
Also a few rust spots were covered up by the dealer. Appear to just be painted over with paint similar hammerite so should I leave them be or get the professionally sorted? Small spots less than 1 inch, est cost?

Glass is the same, though I wonder if the scratches are simply too numerous to be fixed DIY. Would send a photo but they are hard to see unless light is shining from oncoming traffic then I can't see properly. What would est cost be for professional fix?

Chrome trim seems to have lost its shine, any advice for this? Someone suggested Autosol, but to what degree should I use it?

Further to this, what products would be best bang for buck when it comes to cleaning, polishing, waxing etc? Autoglym is expensive. What do I need and what do I not need for a proper clean?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login