Best VCDS to buy?

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Chopperman
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Best VCDS to buy?

Post by Chopperman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm coming out of the luddite era of knowing how to fix cars, to having to scan them.
I have 2, 5.5 diesel Passats, 06 Beetle Convertible diesel and a very simple 2.4 T4.........and a Nissan Terrano plus a few classics.
My sons are coming of driving age and hopefully, I will be able to persuade them into the VW route?
What VCDS is suggested?
Fleabay offer lots but!.......as we all know, which is genuine and quality?

Gte-me
Passat model: B8

Re: Best VCDS to buy?

Post by Gte-me » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 am

From personal experience I would spend the money and go genuine.
I used an eBay one, I performed the simplest of tasks, and somehow blew both rear door modules. I’d only had the car a day, I of course didn’t admit this to VW and they changed both under warranty.
I hadn’t done anything wrong, I just plugged in and used it.
It went straight in the bin and ordered genuine from Gendan I think it was and have had 6 years trouble free.
I know loads of people have had no issues with eBay ones but that’s just my personal experience.
A friend of mine also ended up with new ECU from non genuine.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Chopperman wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:12 pm
I'm coming out of the luddite era of knowing how to fix cars, to having to scan them.
I have 2, 5.5 diesel Passats, 06 Beetle Convertible diesel and a very simple 2.4 T4.........and a Nissan Terrano plus a few classics.
My sons are coming of driving age and hopefully, I will be able to persuade them into the VW route?
What VCDS is suggested?
Fleabay offer lots but!.......as we all know, which is genuine and quality?
Theres only the genuine options, and theyre not to be found on ebay, so do not support scammers on ebay, youll get burned and youll be disrespecting those of us that pay to support a fantastic product.

What you need is dictated by what age of VW models you own and how many vehicles of a certain age and type you need to support.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/product.html

B5.5 pre 2003/2004 VCDS Lite and a legitimate to use cheap ebay "dumb" clone lead. Last of the B5.5 full VCDS HEX+CAN-USB

T4 VCDS Lite and a "dumb" clone lead.

06 Beetle dont know check on the Ross tech site.

VCDS Lite comes in free or paid versions and an ebay "dumb" clone lead is appx £10 or less.

Dont be confused here, Ross tech allow use of a clone "dumb" cable with their Lite version, so not to be confused with any other false claims made by scammers.

The Full version VCDS youll only get from legitimate resellers, gendan for example : https://www.gendan.co.uk/vcds-hex-usb-c ... gDEALw_wcB

Beyond those limits what you also need to consider is what you need to do with the software, as for certain features you have to buy the full version regardless.

And after all that, if you must buy the full version, the 3 vin vs unlimited might offer some saving.

Get reading on Ross Tech and then youll know better what you need. :-bd
To be unforgettable is to be unforgivable!

“Amor Fati" – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.

Chopperman
still on the production line
Passat model: B5.5

Post by Chopperman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks for the advice guys

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Sorry lol, theres no easy answer with buying vcds, but over time it will more than pay you back in diagnosis and repairs. Its more about what having it is worth to you and those you might choose to help.

Often when people learn the ebay stuff is a scam and the true prices for genuine they dont like the answer. :)
To be unforgettable is to be unforgivable!

“Amor Fati" – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.

Alan Gunn
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: X5-3.0d+320d

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:42 am

Buy genuine and if you ever sell the car you will get your money back selling the cable or most of it.