Speed Sensor removal! What a PITA!

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

BIG F@ TW@
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

Speed Sensor removal! What a PITA!

Post by BIG F@ TW@ »

What a fun 3hrs of a job today, bearing in mind that I've done this before, and kind of knew what to expect, it still took far too long to complete. Removed the drivers front Abs sensor thing (speed sensor).

Ended up having to dig it out. Like removing compacted metal ear wax! Ended up trying to remove hub because I foolishly thought it would be easier to push it out , then changed my mind.

Had to remove the clamping sleeve in the end as the very end of the sensor was stuck! 3hrs.....3 bruddy hours!

You can see in the pics the mess I made, once I'd got down to the ginger Pube wire layer it was like a magicians trick, it just kept coming and coming, but eventually I got the last bit out as last pic shows.

Tip if you're doing this, get a new clamping sleeve anyway, that way you don't waste time trying not to damage the old one and can just pull the whole lot out. FEBI 15340 Clamping Sleeve, wheel speed sensor

It's jobs like this that makes me hate our climate. Image

When I refit, do I need to put any grease between sensor and new clamping sleeve? ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Last edited by BIG F@ TW@ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login