Reliability....

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

oldbaz
Passat model: B5.5

Re: Reliability....

Post by oldbaz »

Hi..Old new boy here.

You don't seem to see those adverts anymore stating "If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen" I wonder if it is now the case that Volkswagen's vehicles are no longer as reliable as they used to be? My old (1996) Passat managed 300,000 miles (& still going strong with it's new owner) & it only had a spanner on it for service items, never failed to start, never ever broke down. My now owned 2005 B5.5 130 TDI as done a genuine 134,000 miles & lots of problems, now the dreaded "emissions workshop" cel has manifested it's self. Car runs fine with no smoke accompanied with no poke! I have checked the obvious along with the not so obvious, these include; MAF (fine) New MAP (no difference) All vacuum hoses replaced. N75 & N18 solenoid valves checked ( operating correctly) Pressure tested manifold, pipes & hoses (ok) Turbo tested, working fine. New primary pump relay (no difference) EGR vale removed, cleaned & refitted (no difference) Wiring checked as much as my limited knowledge allows. 9.5 volts across N75 & N18 plugs (ignition on engine not running) Ignition off reading of 20 ohms across contacts. The only one that is different is the solenoid valve to the anti-shudder valve where the voltage reading is unstable reading between battery voltage & 9.5 volts. Shudder valve in operation all the time, vac pipe pulled off & blanked for purpose of road test. VAG codes coming up on my scanner are as follows;

17849 P1441 EGR Valve Circ Open/Short to Ground
17932 P1524 Fuel Pump Relay (J17): Open or Short to Ground VAG
17957 P1549 Boost Pressure Contr.Valve Short to Ground VAG
19561 P3105 Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or Short to Ground
18080 P1672 Radiator fan 1: open circuit / short to ground VAG

Some of which appear to tie in with what happening, others that don't + seems quite a lot to go wrong when you consider the car was going fine one minute then sudden lack of power the next. One thing that might be a clue to what might have caused the problem, heavy rain, the car being swamped by lorries passing on the other side of a busy A road. Battery has been removed to check for water not draining away, all ok, the water not getting to the relays, fuses, ECU, comfort modules etc. I am now at a loss as to where to go next :( Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Oldbaz.

This topic has 19 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login