Another MOT question: (and a bit of a moan)

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

little_geoff
B7
Passat model: B5.5

Another MOT question: (and a bit of a moan)

Post by little_geoff »

I know i contributed to the other discussion about MOT's but i have a question:
So my wife's car went in for an MOT test on the 4th May (expiry date 31st May btw ) it was failed on the following items:
Rear Number Plate light out:
Rear Silencer Blowing:
N/S rear handbrake ineffective

So i went a got it all fixed last weekend...exhaust fitted by a Tyre and exhaust outfit, and i replaced the rear pads and handbrake cable myself...in the rain :((
Now we had it retested today (as apparently this Saturday was beyond the 10 working day retest limit... :-? )
Anyways, apparently they 'forgot' to put on the original test that front section of the pipe was also blowing ( it does looks as though it needs doing...but since it apparently passed and cash is short.) they said that they would weld that patch up since they forgot, fair enough.
however when i got home. i look at the test sheet, and not only have they charged her a full re-test fee (as it was cheaper than charging for the welding) she now has an entirely new list of advisories:
Both outer CV boots deteriorated but preventing ingress of dirt
(i replaced the o/s side in 2013, and n/s 2012)
o/s rear brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules
front cross-member corroding
n/s and o/d rear chassis legs corroding
o/s front wheel bearing noisy

OK, so here's the thing. We have always used this garage since we bought the car 5 years ago, and now travel 20 miles to the test centre, as we have always had good service from them in the past. But surely they should have picked up on these issues on the first test since...?
And did they HAVE to do a full re-test since i took the car away to have it repaired? (so i 'only' did 100 miles travelling to/from MOT repair centres...)
Also was exchanging the price of a full re-rest for the welding work as fair deal? (i have no idea how much welding cost, but apparently took about half an hour)
My next question, if should i inform VOSA? since their is a pretty glaring discepencies in test results...

So what are you thoughts? Just be thankful i didn't have to do more poo to the car, or get Vosa involved in their test standards?
2004 B5.5 1.9TDi 130 AWX

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login