insurance windscreen cover and ncd

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

cbbella
still on the production line
Passat model: B6 Bluemotion2

insurance windscreen cover and ncd

Post by cbbella »

i've had my passat almost a year now and when i bought my comprehensive insurance i was told i had windscreen cover and that in the event of making a claim to have it repaired or replaced my ncd wouldn't be affected. i started with 1yrs ncd so i was expecting to have 2yrs now that its time to renew but that is not the case as i found out when i printed the form off the pc. i still only have 1yrs ncd because i had my windscreen replaced at a cost of the £75 excess fee. i rang my insurer, swiftcover.com and they told me this is correct and when i read the wording on my policy it states,

The following will not reduce your NCD:
••any payment made under Section D (Windscreen and
window damage).

but when i read section D it states

Section D - Windscreen and window damage
This section only applies if you have comprehensive cover
We will pay
To repair or replace broken glass in your car’s windscreen (including panoramic windscreens) or windows, and any scratching to the bodywork caused solely and directly by broken glass from a broken windscreen or window. We may choose to repair your car with parts that may not have been made by the car’s manufacturer but are of a similar standard. Any payment for replacement of glass under this section will not reduce your No claims discount, (although at your next renewal you will no longer be eligible for any increase in your No claims discount according to our declared scale) .

so when your're told your ncd won't be affected what they're reallly saying is, yes your ncd won't be reduced and that the year you have just been with us you won't be getting because you claimed and had your winscreen replaced. it's a little sneaky play on the wording don't you's think.

has anyone else had this happen to them
2009 B6 Passat Estate 2.0TDI (81kW/110hp) Bluemotion2 (Engine Code CBDC)

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login