Winter tyres...some in-car footage

The place for all your non-technical motoring related chat, rants and banter.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

muddyboots
B2

Winter tyres...some in-car footage

Post by muddyboots »

Morning all

I've been a regular user of winter tyres for several years, but for some reason their use doesn't generally get considered by many in the UK.
However this year I notice more people are taking an interest in them.

To try and show just how well they work, here is a bit of in-car footage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lhf0kq_SUo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is my Passat (a B5.5 TDI Sport Estate), fitted with new Continental WinterSport TS830s on the front (205/55/16 94V) and some half-worn Dunlop WinterSport 3D's on the back (same size/speed/load). Obviously being 2wd, the fronts are doing the work here....

For the last 2 or 3 years, the Dunlops were generally coming out best in the european winter tyre reviews, but this year it seemed 50/50 between them and the Continentals, so I thought I'd give them a go as 2 of the Dunlops were worn out.
So far, the Contis have it. The snow performance in particular is simply awesome. I'm now limited by ground clearance more than anything else (not lowered, normal "Sport" height).

They're not just useful in snow. Through the winter months, on cold/wet/grimy/snowy/slushy roads, they really do provide more grip than summer tyres.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login