A Forum for R36 Owners

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Crapbag
B1
Passat model: R36 estate

Winter wheels and tyres

Post by Crapbag »

Hey All,

I decided to pull the trigger n some new wheels and used winter tyres for the R36. I looked at many different wheels from VW OE wheels to branded aftermarket to reps. I decided in the end to for some reps from Chris of CM Wheels https://cmwheels.com Ive used Chris and his team for wheels on a few of my cars and have never had a problem with buckling, cracking or any of the usual problem associated with cheaper reps. And again Chris hasn't let me down. The quality is outstanding with faultless paint finish and the wheels balanced up very well with one wheel only needing 25g of weight, 2 wheels needing 35g each and one wheel needing 55g. I would put this down to the different tree levels on each of the tyres. The one with the least amount of weight went on to the wheel with the tyre having 8mm of tread remaining (pretty much new)

So onto the tyres I decided to go 235/45/18 as this gives a little bit of "cushion for the extra pushen" what with the state of our roads during the winter months. The tyres themselves were all purchased on Ebay and all came from reputable sellers that pressure test and all have zero damage or repairs. 2 came from germany and the other 2 from the uk. All had at least the tread stated on the listing, all stating 6+mm and upon arrival the uk ones had 6.5mm and 7mm the german ones had 7.5mm and 8mm so I am more than happy on that aspect. The brand of tyres are Continental Wintercontact TS850P. At the moment (due to only a quick drive around town to make sure all was good) I have no opinion on the tyres beyond Continental is a brand I wholeheartedly trust and use them all the daily's I've owned and use them on both my Mountain bikes and road bikes (not a fanboy though I swear by Michelin on my weekend toy)

The wheel choice I went with in the end was a VW Pretoria rep (as std on the GolfR) 18x8 et45 in gloss gunmetal. As said I'm really happy with the heels and with the 2 coats of Cquartz Dlux I've applied to them they should be well protected for at least 18 months if used continuously.

Ive also having some custom OEM+ themed centre caps made by https://www.facebook.com/taylormadedecals/ Ive used Steven many many times, he's an absolute wizard when it comes to anything decal related. From badges to clothing to banners and anything else you can think of. As soon as I've got the caps made up i'll post some pics, but until the some pics the wheels and tyres getting prepped with have to do.

ImageUntitled by craig gordon, on Flickr

Also once the car is cleaned I'll get some pics up of them fitted.

Thanks for stopping by,

Craig.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login