My B8 GT Review

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

FordCorsair
still on the production line
Passat model: B8 GT

My B8 GT Review

Post by FordCorsair »

After 15 years of B5.5 ownership and reaching the 300K in the poor old car, I knew it wasn't going to get through the next MOT without lots being spent and was really showing it age in many ways after being solid 'workhorse'. So I decided to spend lots of money on a newer Passat B8, instead...

After much online research, downloading a VW brochure I decided to focus on the 2016 (16/66 reg no.) SE Business model spec. Then amongst all the Auto Trader ads for SE Business models there was this white GT for 10K, north of Bristol. I rechecked the VW brochure, re-read the info on the GT, mmm, yes this is the one to go for - the 18" wheels means the tyres will about £30-40 dearer on each corner but it will have the half leather with suede interior, more chrome embellishments on the body, tinted windows and extra gubbin's on the tech stuff inside.

Now, I was purely looking at 2016 models on Auto trader but out of curiosity browsed Parkers but didn't specify a year and up popped this black 2015 GT (91K on clock) located in Newbury and within my £10K budget. A few days later I took good look around the car and a somewhat un-thrilling test drive I agreed to buy it.
resized20210619_151727.jpg
resized20210619_151854.jpg
I collected the GT on a terribly wet day with lots of Friday traffic so didn't really enjoy my 2nd drive of the car.

First trip to work and I wasn't happy. I had to change down gear on two hills that the old B5.5 TDi Sport would just power up. It felt as flat for acceleration as our Citreon C4 Picasso! And using all the check points I referred to when driving the B5.5 the MPG wasn't as good either at around 53 MPG parked up at work. I got to work rather unhappy - the drive home was uneventful and still, I had to change down for the hills. The next day I was ready but still miffed about changing down for the hills abut MPG improved. Chatting to my boss who is an ardent Golf fan described the change from earlier PD engines to the newer models and therefore I should change my driving habits.

Wednesday rolled around and I spent some time going through the handbook (again) and then noticing this button to the top left of the gear stick called MODE... Apart from getting around to connecting my phone to the bluetooth I read through the MODE options and then checked them out on the centre console screen. I felt a bit foolish realising I had been in ECO mode all this time. I altered my drive to work the following day and got a an improved MPG just remembering to drive the car a bit more through the gears.

The following week I changed the MODE to NORMAL - This vastly improved the drive to work and going up the hills, though on one hill it could have done with a change down as I was losing momentum near the top. MPG had improved too averaging around 58 to 59 MPG parked up at work (26 miles). At the end of each drive I now check the 'efficiency' read out and it's been between 95% to 97% on each of my 26 mile journeys to/from work on a mix of A roads and dual carriageways.
resized20210619_153606.jpg
The range of electronic gadgetry hasn't really bothered me and I may over time get to try some of them out - I don't even use the radio but the climate control is excellent as per my old B5.5. The Sat Nav was actually quite good having only ever followed my nose, the sun or at a push Google maps on my phone. Steering is very light but still gives a feeling of control and the pings and pongs from all the parking sensors are a bit annoying in familiar surroundings (driveway) even on minimum volume.

I am now fully satisfied with my newer B8 GT purchase and plan to try out the SPORT Mode for a week unless my fuel consumption is poor. Anyone get this far reading this... Get one if you haven't already - they are worth it.

Dom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.domcoleman.co.uk/domgallery.php#passattdi"
----------------------------------------------------------

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login