rear suspension/handling problem

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

cheese_za
Passat model: B8 GT

rear suspension/handling problem

Post by cheese_za »

Hi All,

Since I got the car, the rear has felt very unstable. This is most noticeable over 50mph. If the road isn't perfect or there is small joins/bumps, then the back is wobbly. This is even worse when going around a bend and go over some imperfections, the back is then moving all over the show. I don't like driving the car on A-roads/motorways as it feels dangerous. I can understand excess up/down movement if the car is unladen. But the side to side movement is not normal. My 06 Zafira feels like it is on rails compared to this car.

The car went to VW Ipswich for a Major service and I asked them to diagnose the issue. They said the car needed new tyres and wheel alignment. Both of those I knew of and planned on doing after the service anyway.

The car has new tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5) and the wheel alignment was done at Kwik-Fit. Tyre pressures are at 38psi as per the sticker on the B-pillar.

Car is a 2015 B8 GT shod with 235/45R18 tyres.

Took the car back to them yesterday to advise the problem was still there. The guy who drove the car said the sensation felt like there was a trolley jack under the middle of the car. A vibration has developed at 70mph, which seems like a wheel weight has come off. He said to have that looked at and if it is still the same, then they will put it on the ramp to check again.

I have no hope in them as after the service, their report was the car was in great shape, apart from the tyres, wheel alignment, 1 front shock gator split and slight misting on 1 rear shock. I am trying to download the video report from them but can send the link to anyone who would want to view it. The wheel alignment report is attached.

Any help from the car gurus on here would be appreciated.

Thank you.
pre-wheel alignment.jpg
post wheel alignment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login