Load cover handle repair

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

240caballos
Passat model: B8

Load cover handle repair

Post by 240caballos »

I have been well impressed with the build quality of my GT estate so far. That said, I managed to break the load cover handle, such that the return spring no longer operates. You can buy the handle assembly for around 16 quid from VW dealers (part no 3AF 867 799) but if you have the same problem then I can offer this quick, cheap fix.

First of all, remove the handle by unscrewing 2 small T10 bolts, and dismantle the individual parts of the handle so that you have three separate pieces of plastic. You will also need a small spring like the one in the first photo.
1b.jpg
The spring attaches in two places: firstly, you will need to put a short screw through the underneath of the section that flips down, and secure one end of the spring in the hollow part (being careful not to penetrate the upper edge, of course). See second photo – this photo was taken when the whole unit had been re-assembled.
2b.jpg
The other end of this spring will need to be screwed into the main section of the handle. On the underside of the top edge, there is a convenient boss into which I have inserted a washer head screw in the third picture. Before doing this however, you will need to carve away a section of plastic with a chisel or sharp knife so that your spring will sit properly. You will then need to reassemble everything and stretch your spring (already attached to the hollow part of the handle) so that it is under a little tension when you fasten your screw into the boss. Photo 3 is misleading in this respect, since in practice you would already have re-assembled everything first.
3b.jpg
(continued below)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login