Finally got a remap today - 227Bhp & 495nm torque

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant

smilie121
B4
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

Finally got a remap today - 227Bhp & 495nm torque

Post by smilie121 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 pm

So a week ago I booked the car for a remap and service with Martins Auto Clinic in Glasgow. First run showed the car to be sat at 178bhp and 383nm of torque. VW BHP quote is 190 but I saw its actual figure was 180 something once. Still, its lost a few ponies.

After the remap and some tweaks its sat at 227bhp and 495nm of torque.

I can say 227 ponies was a lot more fun getting home from Glasgow to Loch Lomond. Revs climbed much quicker as did the odometer. MPG readout was better but only time will tell.

The remap, DSG and engine oil renewed with all filters cost £500. I was booked in to have the DPF gutted and EGR blanked off for £180 more. However, upon inspection, the position of the EGR and DPF is between the block and bulkhead heatshield and would require the engine lifted to access for any work. This was going to be an extra £300 so I have left it. When the car was up on a ramp I could see exactly the little space available. If i ever change my mind he is willing to do the map tweak in the £300.

The EGR has been mapped out but due to its nature, there is a small amount of pressure coming through and a plate would stop this. The guy had forewarned me that this may be the case as one other tuning company further afield. There should still be an MPG gain with this mapped the way it is.

I will update after a few days.

smilie121
B4

Re: Finally got a remap today - 227Bhp & 495nm torque

Post by smilie121 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:13 am

Short video of the Passat on the Dino - 8th May

https://www.facebook.com/Martin-Auto-Cl ... 402060326/

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Post by Gazwould » Fri May 10, 2019 10:37 am

With VAG isn't the egr a prerequisite of dpf regeneration acting both to regulate temperature and the pressure of dpf regeneration ?

If so it could block .

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Fri May 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Think you'll be OK a respected tuner says he's done loads of just egr off .

gtijames
B4
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Sat May 11, 2019 8:02 am

As you said Gaz I always thought the egr was used to get dpf temps up during regeneration, must be another way.

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:32 pm

This is what I was querying with the guy but he was showing me work on a similar VW with DSG. He said 2017 newer engines are all like this and going to affect his business due to additional cost.

My DPF will still regenerate when needed, the guy said it will be less often now that the EGR is hardly allowing any poo flowing through. When I drove it hard before the fans ran for a few minutes after each stop. I have driven it hard since the remap and it's only done it once earlier.

I was thinking last night if it does need the DPF and EGR done, i think I will just pay the £300. He said he would do the DSG map aswell- though i watched him alter a few settings for 2nd and 3rd - one was torque limiter (was 380) and read online people were not seeing much of a difference with the new DSG map. But if its included why not? Wasn't interested in the ability to brake and accelerate at the same time - it won't see a race track with me.

Drove it sensibly earlier and MPG readout was far better - nearly 11mpg more on a run i am use to. Maybe I nursed it too much? Will keep an eye on it. And yes I know the readout is an indicator and not an absolute.

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Sun May 12, 2019 8:17 am

smilie121 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:32 pm
This is what I was querying with the guy but he was showing me work on a similar VW with DSG. He said 2017 newer engines are all like this and going to affect his business due to additional cost.

My DPF will still regenerate when needed, the guy said it will be less often now that the EGR is hardly allowing any poo flowing through. When I drove it hard before the fans ran for a few minutes after each stop. I have driven it hard since the remap and it's only done it once earlier.

I was thinking last night if it does need the DPF and EGR done, i think I will just pay the £300. He said he would do the DSG map aswell- though i watched him alter a few settings for 2nd and 3rd - one was torque limiter (was 380) and read online people were not seeing much of a difference with the new DSG map. But if its included why not? Wasn't interested in the ability to brake and accelerate at the same time - it won't see a race track with me.

Drove it sensibly earlier and MPG readout was far better - nearly 11mpg more on a run i am use to. Maybe I nursed it too much? Will keep an eye on it. And yes I know the readout is an indicator and not an absolute.

If there's one thing I've learnt is to do mods ASAP and then enjoy that difference for the period of ownership .

That's amazing mpg gains as normally dpf removal is as getting rid of an obstruction .

I would of done the dpf , as it might cost more in the long run .

Oh and avoid any kind of ecu software updates as this will wipe the remap .

This also includes coding in new hardware like injectors etc .

If so this requires a fresh remap file based around the software changes to the new stock file .

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks for info Gaz. Didnt know it could wipe the new map re an update.

Also have to say YES ..... i wish i had mapped this the week i bought it and recommend anyone to do the same.

I am still thinking about the DPF and EGR for £300 .... hmmm. He knocked money off as i had 2 services along with remap. Damn good price i thought. The 300 would be worthwhile if i knew i had to do have the dpf cleaned. Plus i would get the map re tweaked.

Tonights MPG was 51.something over a 40 mile run, which is about 4mpg more than previous runs. However if i am to be honest i may have gone over the designated speed several times as i am still testing the improved performance. On my way back i will drive sensibly to try a fair comparison.

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Only got 42mpg on way back.

Roads were dark

Not much traffic

Nuff said

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T6 Caravelle

Post by dubber36 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 am

Regarding DSG maps, you won't see any gains. You'll just have full manual control as opposed to VWs version of manual.

This is what Revo say about theirs https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-detail ... sg-stage-1
2004 V6 TDI gone and replaced with a 2011 TDI Sport DSG which has gone too.

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 pm

I had already read alot of folk were unimpressed with a DSG map.

The guy had altered it for me anyway to remove the torque limiter. The only thing i noticed so far is in sport mode it red lines before upping a gear in 1st 2nd and 3rd where as before it changed earlier. Not noticed it in 4th or made it do so.

I dont believe he remapped the DSG. From what i saw he changed some values and rolled it, repeated until he was happy.

bibio
B1
Passat model: B7 2.0 estate

Post by bibio » Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 pm

I have the Passat 140 , at Martins it showed 138, now 183 , I wanted the torque up to pull the caravan , Martin has done a good job , pulls the caravan better and 5mpg better with van on Image

And does a regen ever 400 odd miles Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Passat B6 140 sport estate sold. B7 140 executive estate arrived ,( towbar fitted, full interior LEDs, window air deflectors, limousine tints, 183bhp remap, UKpassat stickers :-bd )

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:13 pm

I see you got it done in March 2019 - i assume you have had no issues with DPF / EGR ???

How many miles you done since?

bibio
B1
Passat model: B7 2.0 estate

Post by bibio » Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Done about 2000mls since, I always watch the DPF app to see when it’s going to do a regen then I go a run down the motorway in 3rd gear above 2000 revs
Passat B6 140 sport estate sold. B7 140 executive estate arrived ,( towbar fitted, full interior LEDs, window air deflectors, limousine tints, 183bhp remap, UKpassat stickers :-bd )

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 am

What an emissions device...

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:40 am

smilie121 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 pm
I had already read alot of folk were unimpressed with a DSG map.

The guy had altered it for me anyway to remove the torque limiter. The only thing i noticed so far is in sport mode it red lines before upping a gear in 1st 2nd and 3rd where as before it changed earlier. Not noticed it in 4th or made it do so.

I dont believe he remapped the DSG. From what i saw he changed some values and rolled it, repeated until he was happy.
Why would you want to red line a diesel? Surely after about 4000rpm there would be more torque available in the next gear?

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Gazwould » Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 am

Try driving a Stuttgart bi-tdi that makes 500Nm
( now more ) between 1600 - 1800 and drops after 2K that with full throttle red lines to 4600, even the flappy paddle is overriden so you can't up change earlier.

To make matters worse the kick down drops two gears not that quick either as it's a slush box , revs it's tits off , up changes , revs , all with little progress , then goes to the gear you were in to begin with , then good progress is made .

With feathering the throttle not always with success of avoiding kickdown from low rpm the wave of torque surfed , but we all like the occasional wide open throttle , pedal to the floor.

Absolutely hate the kickdown and want it disabled , it's got no use in this application .

Happy to say I'm successfully working on it .

dubber36
UKPassat's Possie

Post by dubber36 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am

Now my Amarok is completely different. You can more or less select which of its 8 gears you want by balancing throttle position and load. Frenzied kickdown only happens with that extra shove of the pedal to activate the switch. The 7 speed DSG in our Tig is quite manageable in this way too.

I've found that with modestly powered cars with DBW, the last 25% of pedal travel doesn't equate to anymore forward progress.

smilie121
B4

Post by smilie121 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

Regarding red lining comment - what I mean is it climbs the revs so quick in sport mode you have to watch the rev counter to change otherwise it changes before the red line. The acceleration doesn't slow in high revs like my last Passat.

Whatever mode you have it in you have to put the pedal right down for max acceleration otherwise it does indeed changeup earlier - especially in Eco and Drive. With regards to sport, you can lay off the throttle and touch it again and it's like the car acknowledges you want the higher gear. As mentioned, the car responds to how far your foot is down to determine your intention of acceleration. As nifty as the DSG is .... I still miss the gear stick and if someone offered a swap, like for like I believe I would procrastinate.

Regarding change down, eco is pretty good at not wanting to do that, drive i have not really played with. Sport it only changes down after the remap if the revs get under like 1500 - not really paid too close attention. Whatever Martin did to the DSG - a few tweaks to accommodate the torque and when it changed (first 3 gears if I remember), I wasn't sure if I liked it and was going to go back. But after about 1500 miles I pretty happy with it now.

Anyways a question - the wife admitted she put Morrisons fuel in the day before I took it for the remap. Does anyone know if that could account to some of the loss of horsepower on the stock dyno run??? 178 vs something in the 180 mark? I learned to stay away with supermarket fuel last car noticing less MPG.

Still pondering the EGR and DPF too - are the MPG gains going to be worth the £300 ?