Remap my Passat B8

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

smilie121
B5
Passat model: B8 GT DSG 230bhp

Remap my Passat B8

Post by smilie121 »

So I am still thinking on a remap and decided to revisit it

I want the EGR mapped out as well as the DPF. Blanking the EGR off my 2005 B5.5 Passat saw a noticeable difference in power but better, an extra 6 to 8mpg when driven respectively. The B6 was almost as good an improvement as well (lights were on).

I have been contacting several companies about remaps. Most say they can gain me 30bhp and can throw in a EGR and DPF mapped out. 2 or 3 said they could get an 40BHP and a bit more again if I wanted EGR and DPF done. But they also wanted more money as they wanted to gut the DPF and blank or put a pipe into the EGR.

So besides that I am getting conflicting advise on whether or not I need the EGR blanked off. Some say although its mapped out its still a bit open hence a blanking plate will yield best results. Another said its always closed unless it cant because of clogging and therefore no blanking plate required.

A customer of mine who is a MOT tester said he is supposed to look for interference with the DPF and EGR as well as the exhaust system. The criteria says it has to be original and not modified from intended sound levels and emissions and even leaks. Whilst he is a nice guy he is thorough and feel he would sooner fail a car than let it slip a little. A jobsworth as they say up here. Also he said he is to fail any car with a engine management light or if it sounds louder than what he expects of that vehicle and therefore deterred me from any exhaust mods.

Avon Tuning in Bristol gave lots of advise and eventually got me to get in touch with a guy in Edinburgh that does mobile tuning across the central belt of Scotland. He was knowledgeable and spent some time advising me whether I use him or not. Quoted £275 for 2hours to remap and map out EGR, DPF and said I didn't need a blanking plate.

Prices quoted are £250 to £350 for the typical 30BHP increase and they will remove DPF and EGR monitoring. All said the increase in horse power is based on the map and couldn't say if EGR disable would improve performance - different to my experience on 2 previous Passats - B5.5 and B6.

Lastly as I have a DSG, i see that can be altered for better performance. But the Edinburgh guy advised a ODBeleven Pro would allow me to get all i want out of the DSG and throttle timing. It has other benefits too.

So ...... any input?

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login