B8 Driving mode selection

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm

Stubbsy85
still on the production line
Passat model: B8 GT 1.4TSI 150

B8 Driving mode selection

Post by Stubbsy85 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 am

Hi All,
First time posting here, I am currently a CC owner but I have just placed my order for a new B8 Passat Estate GT DSG 1.4 TSI 150ps and I am wondering if anyone knows if it will include the driving mode selection button by the gear knob or does this come only on the higher spec models?
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
Mick
2018 B8 GT 1.4 TSI DSG Estate 150PS, Deep Pearl Black, Area View, Discover Pro with gesture control, Lane asisist and side scan
May delivery

Anddenton
Passat model: B8

Re: B8 Driving mode selection

Post by Anddenton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am

My SE Business model has the driver mode selection so I assume the GT model will as well.

Stubbsy85

Post by Stubbsy85 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am

Anddenton wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 am
My SE Business model has the driver mode selection so I assume the GT model will as well.
Ah ok thanks, that is a good sign, do you have any extras on your model or is it the standard SE Business spec? Just I am wondering if it comes as part of one of the extras
2018 B8 GT 1.4 TSI DSG Estate 150PS, Deep Pearl Black, Area View, Discover Pro with gesture control, Lane asisist and side scan
May delivery

fredthefifth
Passat model: B7

Post by fredthefifth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:18 pm

The mode button associated with the DSG box is standard, there's another I think that is associated with suspension if you have the dynamic or adaptive, whatever its called.

For extras go on volkswagen.co.uk and build car. Its pretty good and there is an option to see what is standard.
2018 B8 R-Line Estate 1.4 TSI DSG 150, Manganese Grey, Park Assist, Heated Screen, Highbeam Assist, Powered Tailgate.

Tomvenning

Post by Tomvenning » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 pm

I have a 2018 GT 2.0 TSI and this has driver mode selection as standard.

The 2.0 TSI comes with Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) as standard, so it might be related to that... it this is accessible via the single driver mode button. Push the button and you can select the profile from the central touchscreen display: Normal, Economy, Sport or Individual.

One minor gripe is that it returns to normal each time you turn off the ignition, although it does only take seconds to put it back into sport mode, to start guzzling the super unleaded again :esm

fredthefifth

Post by fredthefifth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

I get those options on my 1.4 TSI and I don't have DCC, it changes how the DSG behaves.
2018 B8 R-Line Estate 1.4 TSI DSG 150, Manganese Grey, Park Assist, Heated Screen, Highbeam Assist, Powered Tailgate.

Stubbsy85

Post by Stubbsy85 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm

fredthefifth wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm
I get those options on my 1.4 TSI and I don't have DCC, it changes how the DSG behaves.
Ah great that answers my question thanks everyone. I did check the website but could only see the switch coming for the DCC option but saw somewhere else that it was standard.

I see you’ve got a 2018 1.4 150, what’s the engie like? I currently have a 2.0 TDI CC with 138ps so I’m hoping the Petrol 150 will be a bit quicke. I’m also intrigued to see the new standard LED headlights that are now part of the standard lineup, they stopped me selecting the premium LEDs but I’ve not actually seen them anywhere yet. Got to wait till the end of May for mine to come
May delivery

fredthefifth

Post by fredthefifth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Only had it a week so getting used to it. I had a 63 plate 140 bhp 2.0 TDI before and think its a bit quicker than that but its not a "quick" car. If you are looking for something to burn off others at the lights I dare say most many motors will be the same or quicker if they are 180+ bhp like many. Plenty quick enough though!

I've got the R-Line with the upgraded LED lights, think I saw the nearside light up turning left once but like I say only had it a week! The lights are really good though, best I've had but I agree with the criticism of LED lights too!

Stubbsy85

Post by Stubbsy85 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah I was originally going for the GTE Advance with 218ps and I had one for a weekend as a demo car and they are nice and quick, it had a good speed in just the petrol mode and even in electric mode but as soon as you pushed that GTE button you could burn away from the lights. Sadly I just couldn’t get the price to where I needed it to be for work so opted for the GT with more gadgets instead
May delivery

fredthefifth

Post by fredthefifth » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes my demo was in a GTE. I wanted an idea of performance and that was all they had with that engine, they did all they could to disable the electrical assistance (let the battery go flat and something else that I took their word for) and was happy with the performance.

I am pleased with the performance to date in mine but haven't really gone for it - its only done 200 miles and the manual says don't use full throttle for the first 1,500 miles, feels good though, certainly not disappointed.

Have to admit that after loads of research and mostly bad reviews I decided to take a chance on the DSG box because I love auto's. Not disappointed, its lovely to drive, so quiet and smooth. Agree with the niggle mentioned above that it goes back to Normal mode each time is a pain but can live with it.

Stubbsy85

Post by Stubbsy85 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Oh I really rate the DSG, I think it is a fantastic smooth gearbox and on the GTE version I didn’t even notice the switch between electric and petrol, it was smooth. I have only had the DSG on the demo and on a curtesy car I had so this will be my first auto but with the miles I do, I thought the switch to auto was a no brainer.

May cannot come quick enough
May delivery

Odyssey TSi
B1
Passat model: B8 GT

Post by Odyssey TSi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 am

I have the mode button but don’t have DCC or an automatic so it seems pointless.
2015 Passat GT 2.0tdi, I need a name change!

TezzaBezza

Post by TezzaBezza » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:52 pm

I have a TDi DSG GT, and yes the Mode button is there, with options of Eco, Normal, Sport, Individual (set your own levels).

It controls how early (or late) the gearbox shifts, changes the throttle response (marked difference between normal and eco where you have to press hard to accelerate), and how the adaptive cruise control behaves (aggressively keep the distance by accelerating and braking harder vs. more smoothed accelerations). Think there might be a 4th setting - I seem to remember there were 4 from setting up the Individual option.

I'm pretty sure the car remembers which mode it was last in, and also between keys. I use one key, wife uses the other and we each get the mode that our key last used (along with radio station, climate settings, etc).

fredthefifth

Post by fredthefifth » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:40 pm

My mode always goes back to Normal and the active display displays D accordingly. Interestingly the Infotainment screen still (wrongly) shows the previous mode, a bug that I have reported to VW and demonstrated to a techie. To get to another mode I have to press the Mode button again.

Odyssey TSi
B1

Post by Odyssey TSi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 am

While we are on this subject when you select a drive mode it displays what made your in on the top left corner of the radio screen, when I turn the ignition off it hen changes to what street I’m parked on, is there a way to display the street constantly while driving.

My old CC did this and it was good to know.
2015 Passat GT 2.0tdi, I need a name change!

Stubbsy85

Post by Stubbsy85 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Also what is the colour of the standard ambient light pack that comes in the GT spec and is there a way of retrofitting the extra colours?
May delivery

A900ss

Post by A900ss » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 pm

A quick question to Fredthefifth....

I notice you’ve just picked up an R Line. Would you mind telling me if your decorative inserts across the dashboard and doors are silver or black? I could have sworn they were silver when I ordered my car but on the website noe they are black.

My car has just been built but I can’t collect until June.

Thanks
2018R Line 150 TDI DSG Estate. Atlantic blue with DLA, Electric Tailgate and XDS.

fredthefifth

Post by fredthefifth » Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Well, on refelection, it looks black from a distance but the black is formed by a series of squares on a silvery backdrop.
Hopefully the links below work ok and explain what I mean.
I think it could look black or silver depending on light / reflections etc.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMC4EqjNkUkCRriH7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AEsakW3mx6fdgsD36

Frank Bullitt
Passat model: B8

Post by Frank Bullitt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 pm

We have a TDi 150 manual and it has the drive select - it has normal, eco, sport and individual each mode changes the throttle map and steering slightly - eco is a waste of time as the throttle map makes the car gutless; ours is in Individual with the throttle on normal and the steering on sport. It stays on this mode and doesn’t reset each time we start the car.
Stubbsy85 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm
Thanks for everyone’s help.

Also what is the colour of the standard ambient light pack that comes in the GT spec and is there a way of retrofitting the extra colours?
They are a sort of warm white - very nice
2005 Audi A2 1.4TDi SE 75 in Silver
2015 VW Passat 2.0TDi 150 manual GT Estate in Deep Impact Black
2016 Bailey Pursuit 430/4 shed, AKA ‘Percy’