Heated Seat Problem

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm

Icaru5
still on the production line
Passat model: B8

Heated Seat Problem

Post by Icaru5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Done almost 80,000 Miles now, without any issues whatsoever until today ...

I switched the heated drivers seat on and then realised after a few minutes that it wasn’t warm. After looking at the switch, the 3 orange lights weren’t on, so doubting whether I’d actually pressed the switch in the first place, pressed it again, only to notice that the 3 orange lights illuminated, and then extinguished after a couple of seconds. The same also happens with the passenger seat. I also notice that during the very short time the orange lights are on, the heated seats don’t show as a power consumer on the consumption screen. I will visually inspect the wiring and connections under the seats tomorrow as it’s too dark now. I can feel what seem to be a couple of molex connectors under the seats and will also reseat these just in case, strange how it happens on both seats though ?

Anyone else experience this ?

Thanks,

Ic.

P.S. I only had the car serviced at the dealers a couple of weeks ago, and it may we’ll be the first time I’ve tried the heated seats since then. Just a coincidence ?

Machinehead

Re: Heated Seat Problem

Post by Machinehead » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am

did you find anything loose? also I assume the fuses are all ok?

Icaru5

Re: Heated Seat Problem

Post by Icaru5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

Machinehead wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am
did you find anything loose? also I assume the fuses are all ok?
Yes, all sorted now, thanks ...

A quick glance underneath the passenger seat revealed two bare pins that should have formed part of a molex connector hanging down and resting on the seat frame :shock:

I re-inserted the pins into the molex connector (the type with a hinged flap), and then replaced the blown 30A fuse behind the glove box. The RHS retaining clip for removing the glove box was very stubborn. So much so that in the end I broke it, but not really an issue ...

Interestingly enough, even after replacing the fuse, both heated seats initially still refused to play, until I switched the fan heating system off completely, switched on the rear heated screen, and then tried the heated seats. Something I read as a reset somewhere ... Maybe a neccesary trick to incentivise a trip to the dealer$ even after rectifying the issue ?