Electrical Gremlins are Breeding!!

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm

lovewomble
still on the production line

Electrical Gremlins are Breeding!!

Post by lovewomble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Well I've now had my lovely B8 2.0 TDI (150) GT DSG Estate for 18 months and loved every minute of it........almost.

I wouldn't say I've done mega mileage (50,000) to date but I'm starting to experience a couple of weird electrical issues, one can be quite scary!

Anyone else experienced the following?

1 - N/S mirror folds in when locking but doesn't always fold back out when unlocking. Annoyingly I always notice once I'm settled in my seat and have put my belt on!!
Out I have to get to pull it out as it won't do it electrically. Lookers in Guildford can find no fault!

2 - A couple of months ago whilst enjoying a nice drive up to Suffolk, I was accelerating off of a roundabout (dual carriageway) when the car suddenly went into limp mode at about 50mph. It was under load (accelerating) and I was down to about a 1/4 tank of fuel so thought it may have sucked up a bit of crud in the fuel?
Went in for service and investigation but Lookers in Guildford could find no fault!
Everything went well for a few weeks until it did it again one morning at about 30 mph. I stopped at the side of the road, switched off and restarted it and all was ok.

3 days later at 04:30 in the morning on the M3 it died again. 70 mph down to below 30 (not funny on a motorway with no real hard shoulder)! Managed to stop, restart and crack on again.

All was going well until I hit the M25. I was sat in lane 6, with plenty of traffic doing c.70mph with the flow when pop, limp mode again down to 20mph pretty quickly.

This was bloody frightening as I had traffic flying up behind me and had to get it all the way across 6 lanes to reset the damn thing.
Got there eventually, reset it and carried on to work. Needless to say I stayed in lane 1 all the way around to the M40 and thankfully I did; it did it another 3 times on the M25.

I actually videoed it to show the warning lights and speed loss for VW but having dropped it off today I'm not sure it's going to return any faults. The vehicle displayed the yellow exclamation triangle, flashed the curly pre heat light and reported an error with the start/stop system.
Apparently the error with Start/Stop info is common and covers a multitude of faults.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, it really is very worrying when it happens, especially at motorway speeds and its starting to make me question the car that I actually really like.

Advice as ever appreciated.
Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

v3burn
Passat model: B8 RLine 190 DSG

Re: Electrical Gremlins are Breeding!!

Post by v3burn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm

not experienced anything on my Passat yet but on my Golf Mk7 the emission light etc used to come on randomly and tell me to visit garage immediately, as with you the dealer found no issues and I found that stopping, locking and then restarting the car reset things and away you go!

I too took photos of the Dash to convince them that there was a problem! holding my breath nothing like you describe happens to me!

good luck

lovewomble

Post by lovewomble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 am

Well after two days in the Passat hospital she's been discharged with a clean bill of health.

DSG oil change has been completed (they ran out of time during the 40k service) and apparently the issue with her scaring the poo out me was the oil pressure switch and a section of wiring leading to it.
This has now been duly changed and only time will tell if this has eradicated the little gremlin.

Fingers crossed, we'll be cruising at normal altitude again.

If it happens to you, remember the oil pressure switch and some connecting wiring.

Odyssey TSi
B1
Passat model: B8 GT

Post by Odyssey TSi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Must be the time of year, mines had a “key not in car” warning come up and yesterday after washing it I had a airbag error flash up, checked the car error messages and it was all clear.
2015 Passat GT 2.0tdi, I need a name change!

lovewomble

Post by lovewomble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Odyssey TSi wrote:Must be the time of year, mines had a “key not in car” warning come up and yesterday after washing it I had a airbag error flash up, checked the car error messages and it was all clear.

I've had the key not in car message come up quite a lot, normally when it's on the passenger seat.
Just recently Its told me to change the key battery so maybe that's the reason it's unable find it?

All good with mine so far 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Jamesreabrookes
Passat model: B8

Post by Jamesreabrookes » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Mine has been into the dealers 4 times now (2.0TDI R Line 190) as when cold will not start at all and many warning light and sensor failures detected.

Have to lock unlock the car 4 or 5 times and try to restart and then starts eventually its a nightmare.

Just back from the dealers yesterday who have billed £600 of warranty replacements and guess what, this morning exactly the same problem :( :(

ka399
Passat model: B8 Estate

Post by ka399 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Anyone had a problem with the radio not working..screen goes haywire ...freezes then unlocks madly switching between screens ..only way to cure it..is to get out of the car lock it...walk away from it for 5 mins return and restart...which is a ballache in the rain...on an open moor.

Cheltsmem

Post by Cheltsmem » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am

Lovewomble - having exactly the same problems with my DSG 190 that's done 35k. Coil light flashing, limp mode, auto on/off not working info on screen and ACC yellow warning light appears too.

Going in next Thursday as away until then.

Will post update on here but useful to know what the garage found for your issue. I'll let them know when I take it in.

Is yours ok now?

Chaff900

Post by Chaff900 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am

ka399 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:15 pm
Anyone had a problem with the radio not working..screen goes haywire ...freezes then unlocks madly switching between screens ..only way to cure it..is to get out of the car lock it...walk away from it for 5 mins return and restart...which is a ballache in the rain...on an open moor.
I had the same problems, short term soloution was to hold the radio power button for 12 seconds (until it resets) been in garage and a software update has cured it! I was told if that doesn’t do it it’s a head replacement!! Was covered under warranty for me.

Cheltsmem

Post by Cheltsmem » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am

RE my earlier post with the same issues as Lovewomble.....

....so took the car in to local VW dealer on Thursday at 8am. Carefully explained the issue and the info from Lovewomble describing the fix for exactly the same issues (see original post on this thread). The answer from the garage was "oh we don't pay any attention to that kind of info, we have to do a full diagnostic". OK fair enough I thought.

All of Thursday passes, no contact from garage, so called them at 5pm. "oh it's still in the workshop, we've not had any news from them yet" was the reply ! Not the best service but hey ho, so I said I'd call Friday lunchtime if they hadn't called me before then.

Guess what, not call, so called at 1:30. "oh yes, we have found the problem and the parts are due in at 2pm, so should be fixed by the end of the day" was the reply. I asked what parts were required and guess what the reply was? "Oil pressure switch and some associated wiring" which is EXACTLY what Lovewomble had and I told them about. Not sure why they couldn't have diagnosed this first and probably saved a day in the workshop !

They also recalibrated the software!

As I'd paid for an additional warranty (car is now in it's 4th year) I asked how much it would have cost if not covered by warranty. Garage said, well calibration takes 4 - 5 hours and switch was 2 - 3 hours @ £125 an hour..... and that's without the part. So, on this occasion getting the warranty was worth it. Phew !