2.0 TDICamshaft seal failure resulting in engine destruction

Post by Gabriel2 »

2017-01-25 09.08.49 (Medium).jpg
2017-01-25 08.54.55 (Medium).jpg
2017-01-25 08.54.55 (Medium).jpg
Fault codes - Alex.pdf
Fault codes - Alex.pdf
Dear all
My name is Gabriel, I am from Romania and until few days ago I was the proud owner of a 2014 Passat B8 2.0TDI 150BHP BlueMotion.
Recently I have experienced a camshaft seal failure, resulting in oil loss and engine destruction.
I would like to ask for your help, if someone has the knowledge and the necessary time.
The story goes like this:
I have bought this car in November 2016 with 23000km from a German VW-Audi dealer. The had been inspected by the VW-Audi dealer just before the purchase as it was just about to pass into its third year of life. The car warranty expired at the end of November 2016.
On the 10th of January, I had a business trip (about 300km) on national roads. The ambient temperature was very low (-30C in some areas).
After for 280 km, while trying to overtake the car in front of me, the engine power suddenly was reduced as the coil and the ACC yellow lights started to blink. No other message was displayed. Attached to this post is the instrument cluster picture taken very shortly after the incident (the picture did not capture the moment when yellow coil symbol was lit)
Promptly after the alarm, when the traffic conditions permitted, I stopped the car and the engine for few seconds, then restarted the engine and all the warning lights were gone.
After that I drove for about 17km. This trip included climbing and descending quite a long slope. During this trip no alarm indication or message was displayed.
Then I parked the car in a garage for about one hour.
While restarting the engine the red oil sign lit up and “low oil pressure” was displayed.
A visible oil leak was present in the engine compartment in the timing area. I proceeded to pour 2.5 liters back in the engine and tried to restart the engine without success.
The car was then transported on a platform to a VW authorized workshop.
The findings were as follows:
- Cam shaft oil seal failed resulting in heavy oil loss.
- Drained oil volume about the same quantity that I have added
- Metallic debris on the bottom of the oil sump
- Connecting rod bearings and crank shaft heavily damaged (photo attached).
- Fault code: print attached (attached document is not exactly the official VW print out, but it is consistent with it)
- No further investigation has been made as VW Romania estimated that entire engine replacement is more cost effective than the replacement of damaged parts (crankshaft and balancing shaft assembly, camshafts assembly, turbo compressor ad so on…).
VW Ro’s initial position seems to be that the fault “5580 – Oil Pressure Switch…” was trigged by the actual low oil pressure and the red oil warning along with the message “Low oil pressure” should have been displayed.
The heavy engine damage is due to the fact that the car had been driven for 17 km until the fault “5582 Oil Pressure Switch for Low Oil Pressure” alarm had been issued, displayed but disregarded by me.
My statement with respect to the fact that no warning light and or alarm message was received between the two above mentioned events seems not to be accepted.
Questions:
1. My understating is that at high engine speed the Oil Pressure Regulating Valve is actuated resulting in higher oil pump capacity, hence the oil pressure is increased. The Oil Pressure Switch function is to monitor the oil pressure increase and indirectly to confirm the proper function of the Pressure Regulating Valve.
Assuming the “5580 Oil Pressure switch P164B 00 (101) Malfunction…” fault is a consequence of the low oil level, shouldn’t this also affect the oil pressure at low engine speed as well?

2. Is the above mentioned fault supposed to be accompanied by the message “Low oil pressure”? If so, for how long this message is expected to be displayed? Should it just flash on the display or remain permanently so that it could not be missed?
If the low oil pressure signal lasts only the time until the engine speed is reduced it is possible that I might have missed it as I was more concerned by the lack of power during the overtaking process than reading the instruments.

3. With the engine disassembled, is there any way to simulate the P164B 00 “fault” and P164D “no fault” conditions and to check the instrument cluster indication?

4. The car is fitted with an oil level sensor. What would be the possible causes for not receiving any alarm. Would a low oil level alarm be recorded by the car computer (VW Ro claims that such alarms are not recorded)?

5. Is there any procedure for checking the indication of the oil level probe? (VW Ro also claims that no procedure is available)

6. The attached listing shows recordings of the oil level, however I have no reference of the normal and the alarm value. Does anyone know these values?

7. What would be the possible causes of the camshaft seal failure?

8. What does “19233- Bank 1 Camshaft A (Intake) P0011 00 [101]” mean? Is this fault expected to generate any alarm/message on the instrument cluster? Since I have received no signal what could have masked this alarm/message?

9. Where should I apply in the attempt of look for manufacturer’s “extraordinary” support?

Thank you in advance for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login