Water in spare wheel well

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant

RickyR

Water in spare wheel well

Post by RickyR » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 am

Hi all - reposting this in a more suitable Forum.

I have a 15 plate Passat estate. The other day when changing spare wheel there was a lot of water in the spare wheel compartment, under the boot cover. The boot itself was completely dry. I’ve since taken out the felt cover and laid down paper towels in its place. Having taken the car out today in the heavy rain it’s clear more water has got in, from what appears to be the passenger side of the lower boot. Has anybody come across this problem before, or does anybody know where the problem may lie? Strangely, the water seems to be coming in more heavily when the car is in motion? I’ve searched other forums and this doesn’t seem to be a common fault with my model. Any help welcomed.

paiste
B1
Passat model: B5.5

Re: Water in spare wheel well

Post by paiste » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Ricky.
I'm having exactly the same problem. I washed my car and went to hoover out the spare wheel well and noticed it was wet. Took out the liner dried it out and searched for the problem. I found a tiny crack in my rear left light cluster, but can't imagine that ws the problemm. I've sealed it up whilst I wait for my new light cluster and put the liner back in. Its really wet again, but the rear left cubby hole that was wet is dry now. I've got no idea where the water ingress is coming from?